- advertisement -

Insulin seems to be going bad - twice now!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Jun 8, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Twice this week we have gone out in the heat (hot car, hot outside, etc) and both times J has started going up, up, up. I changed his infusion set the first time, thinking it was what was wrong. Nothing. When I finally changes his insulin, he started coming down.

Same thing today - he was in the 300's for HOURS. I changed his set twice. First time because he hit 300 and he was due for a change today. Second time because the first site pulled out.
    Nothing helped, until I changed the cartridge of insulin.

Do you think it's more likely that the insulin is going bad in the heat (those little cartridges can heat up quickly, I'm sure) or maybe air in the tubing? I just can't figure out it. I did see some air in the tubing when I primed it but not much.
    It just seems to be the heat.

2. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I don't have any info, but I was going to post something similar about Lantus because we have been seeing this week (after 90s all week and sitting in the car for hours since Sat) that the numbers are higher than normal for DD. I thought it may be the heat and was going to try a new one today. I am looking forward to the responses you get. Good luck, I hope you get an answer soon and get the highs under control.

3. letscuret1

letscuret1 Approved members

We live in AZ where the temps get over 110 in the summer. My son has played out door soccer in temps in the 100s. Sometimes his BG goes up, but then will come down with a correction. If you think about it the insulin is ~98.6 degrees while in the pump since it sits up against the body. This was a concern of mine before pumping but it has not been an issue.

4. Judith

Judith Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Standard recommendation for pumping in hot weather (temps over 86) is to change insulin in the reservoir daily. Just fill with enough for one day and a bit extra, to avoid wasting insulin. Don't have to use a brand new cartridge each day.

5. Judith

Judith Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My type 2 brother called me a few days ago, very concerned because he was having super high numbers. Seems he'd left his meds
    in the car while he went in to have lunch. He had to replace it all, including Lantus, Humalog and Byetta.

6. kimmcannally

That sounds like a good idea to me. I'll give this a try and see if it helps the issue.

Now that I'm thinking of it, he was already near 200 when we left the house today, so it could be something totally different. Who knows?
    He was finally down to 189 by the Dex at bedtime.
    About to check him now then head to bed.
    Night, all - and thanks!

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't know for sure...But, I have found that if the insulin gets affected by heat. What happens is that they go into the 200's and no matter what you do or how much insulin you give...They stay there.

8. kimmcannally

Yep, that is what he is doing, except it's 300's. He doesn't come down until I put in fresh insulin from the fridge.

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

You might want to consider getting a FRIO pouch for his pump. That way, the pump stays cool while he is outside.

10. kimmcannally

I'd love to do a frio and we have one. But he has his pump velcro'ed to his belly band and would not have any way to secure it inside a frio.

11. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

The pump FRIO pouch does come with cutouts for a belt if that's an option.

12. kimmcannally

Hmm, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info. I know he wouldn't wear it for long, but he might do it just when he's about to get into a hot car.