- advertisement -

Insulin Pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by edonato, Mar 24, 2014.

1. edonato

edonato New Member

Hi.
    I'm wondering if any parents out there that has their child whom is 3 or younger on an insulin pump? I wanted to get your opinion and the type of pump you guys are using. My son LJ who was diagnose at 1 with T1D is now 3 and currently gets 4 shots a day. My wife and I are thinking of moving him into a pump but not sure what would be good for kids at that age. Any information/suggestions would help.

I appreciate it.
    Thank you

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

My daughter was dx-ed T1 at age 2 in 2012. We started pumping with Omnipod six months later, when she was 2 1/2. We are with a different endo than when she was first diagnosed, and our current endo has told us that she is inclined to put all newly diagnosed babies and toddlers straight onto a pump, among other reasons because of the better control over small doses.

We chose omnipod because I had somewhat overblown concerns about tubing in the daycare setting, and during sleep (daughter is very restless at night) -- in hindsight, I'm not sure these issues were as significant as I made them out to be at the time. I also liked the remote touch insertion, and my daughter seemed comfortable with it at the sales demo. We've had occasional frustrations with the Omnipod system, particularly the prior generation product. While you can find quite a bit of mixed feedback on Omnipod in particular on this site, we plan to stick with it for the time being -- we have seen most of our quality complaints resolve in the last six months, and our daughter is very used to the system.

We've never regretted pumping for a moment; it has really improved our family's quality of life and has led to incremental (though not miraculous) improvements in bg control. I think there are a lot of threads on this website comparing pumps, but the general consensus seems to be that the difference comes down more to features rather than core performance.

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Young children can definitely pump! My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and we began pumping right under the age of 3. We went with a medtronic revel pump - and that was almost 4 years ago! At the age of 2 1/2 we were giving 5 to 6 shots per day. With a pump, we can do a site insertion every 2-3 days. What a difference!

The pump also allows for a drip "basal rate" that mimics more like a pancreas.

We found that the pump gave my child freedom to eat and we could just dose for it.
    Also for parents it was much easier to go places. You don't have to pack up insulin and needles, but everything is held within the pump. You just punch in the carb count of the food and push buttons. There are cute pump pouches - my son started with THomas the train - so it made it where he was willing to wear it.

I think it is a great idea ! Like anything else, it has a learning curve.

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

This is refreshing. I've read a lot on here about endos that take the opposite view that children need to be much older before pumping. My son was started on an Animas because at the time it offered the lowest basal increments (0.025U/hr) but nowadays most pumps will do that so I think most would be fine. We've stuck with Animas (from a 1200 through a 2020 and now a Vibe) but this is more because we haven't had an issue with them than any downsides to other options.

They seem to be pretty robust and stand up to the rough and tumble of childhood. In 6 years we have only had one break and that was a crack down the side by the battery compartment and we got a replacement within a day.

I can only remember one case of the site being pulled out by another child pulling on the tubing at nursery, and I think she was more upset about it than my son! Actually other children of his age are great about it and are generally really protective of him and just accept his pump. It's the older ones I'm worried about!!

In short, although my son's case is not typical, he is proof that age is no barrier to pumping.

Good luck with your decision.

5. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

My son has been on the Medtronic pump since he was 20 months old--2 weeks after diagnosis, we got him on a pump. It's been no trouble at all. We use the Sure-T sites for extra security with Hypafix tape, too.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

K has been using the Medtronic Revel with the Sure-Ts since a few days after his third birthday. It has always worked really well for us. We used the integrated CGM for a while, but now we use the Dex. I don't know if his next pump will be Medtronic or Animas, but it will be a tubed pump, I am sure.

7. edonato

edonato New Member

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it. I will let you guys know what i chose soon.

8. edonato

edonato New Member

So my wife and I decided to get the Medtronic 530g with enlite sensor and sure-T. We also got approved for Mysentry so it seems that insurance will cover that. Was just odd at first because our rep thought it Odd that we are the first one to ever get approved for mysentry. They even had to resubmit it twice to make sure and both were approved. once we receive them, we'll schedule an appointment to try it out for my son. Hopefully all will work out! thank you all

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I thought the My Sentry system was history... interesting.

Not to be a naysayer but I'd just remind you to review the return policy so that you know that if you have issues with the choice you can try something else. In your shoes I might be inclined to go with the ping/dexcom combination. Even though it seems to have a lot of components I think that combination offers more flexibility, especially for a young kid whose parents are fully in charge of management. Just my 2 cents.:cwds:

Good luck!

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Please read skyleysmom's thread "Considering sending CGM back" just in case the enlite sensor doesn't work out for you. I could be mistaken because, even though I've read up on pumps and CGMs until my eyes bled, we have not yet started using either a pump or CGM, so I may have misunderstood exactly where their (skyleysmom's) problem lies. But in the event that I did understand her post, it sounded like they had problems with the CGM part and not the pump itself, and they were possibly running into problems with returning it in order to get a Dexcom. So you may want to be especially cognizant about the return policy/deadlines for doing so, etc.

That being said, what you've chosen may work out wonderfully for you and your child. One thing I've learned is that, statistically speaking, a higher percentage of people post about problems they've encountered with a product than do those that are pleased with said product. For example, before reading about others' experiences with the Omnipod, my daughter and I had independently decided on this pump after reading all the information available on the different insulin pump manufacturers' websites and speaking with the company reps. Then we read about all of the problems individual people were having with the Omnipod (on this Forum, other forums, YouTube, etc.) Needless to say, this made my daughter and I seriously reconsider our choice. After I took some more time and found a fair number of happy Omnipod users and actually spoke with one in person, we have once again decided to go with the Omnipod. We may end up hating it, or it may be a great fit for my daughter. Only time and experience will tell. Unfortunately, the "time" part may be limited by a return policy.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree with above.

I am an adult who uses a pump and CGMS. But if I was a parent of a young child I would look at the Ping dexcom option also. I think the Ping remote sounds like it really helps make life easier with a young kid. Because you are doing all the stuff having two devices is not as much an inconvenience as some of us adults might find it plus the remote sounds really nice. Anywho I also suggest you spend a bit more time looking at options before you commit.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Agreed and want to emphasize as a parent who has used both CGM systems, having the receiver separate rather than integrated is a HUGE plus.