- advertisement -

Insulin pumps

Discussion in 'UK' started by EmmaD, Mar 2, 2010.

1. EmmaD

EmmaD Approved members

Hi

This is my first time on CWD, so feeling a lilttle nervous at what to put, but here goes.

My son was diagnosed 1 August 2006, age 8. We have been asking for a pump through our PCT for the past 2-3 years but unfortunatley there isn't any funding. We were told in October that they were hopeful for January this year as it would be their 4th year of applying. We heard last week that it has been refused yet again and therefore no pumps are available for at least another year. I feel enough is enough so I am going to see George's consultant next week and I shall be challenging the PCT about this. Does anyone have any info that will help me with my cause or any guidance they can give.

Thank you so much.

2. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Hi Emma

Welcome to CWD. Don't feel nervous, we are a friendly bunch, I promise :)

My son was diagnosed in 2006 too. He's just turned 17. We fought for a pump for 2 years and eventually got one this week. :) It's going great.

NICE guidelines say if the consultant feels you meet criteria the PCT must fund the pump (in England) Although some clinics are not doing as good as others at this. If you could come and join us at the UK CWD email list, lots of mum's there will be able to help you, Jackie runs the list. It may be an idea to move to a better (pro-pump) clinic? John at INPUT can help you with support and advice on getting your son a pump in England. I am in Scotland so I don't know all the best clinics in England, but that where John, Jackie and the mum's on the list can help out.

Here's some links:

http://www.input.me.uk/

http://www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org/

Feel free to ask any questions you have. You'll win your battle for a pump for George.

Aileen

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm so sorry I managed to miss this thread! If you are still around, I'd love to answer any questions you have about getting funding for a pump in the UK; I got fully funded in July '08 and now also have partial use of continuous glucose sensors funded as well. I'm in Essex. :cwds:

(Also posted on Parents of Children with Type 1 section.)

4. Sportsrep

Sportsrep Approved members

Hi Emma,
    The key is to get George?s consultant on the case and get him/her to put in writing that he/she recommends George gets a pump. Once he has done this the PCT cannot, by law, refuse.

This is because it is a clinical decision, not a financial one.

They may, and probably will, continue to prevaricate and try to stall, saying things like ?there?s no budget? and ?we?ve given out our allocation for this year?. This is all rubbish: you just continue to contact them every few days and politely remind them that they are breaking the law by not complying with the consultant?s recommendations.

Once you?ve got the consultant?s backing, contact John Davies an Input on the link Aileen provided and he will give you the best advice on how to maintain the pressure on your PCT ? but you need that consultant?s support first.

Good luck!

(PS My 13-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter both started on pumps last year.)