- advertisement -

Insulin Pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by EmmaD, Mar 2, 2010.

1. EmmaD

EmmaD Approved members

Hi

This is my first time on CWD, so feeling a lilttle nervous at what to put, but here goes.

My son was diagnosed 1 August 2006, age 8. We have been asking for a pump through our PCT for the past 2-3 years but unfortunatley there isn't any funding. We were told in October that they were hopeful for January this year as it would be their 4th year of applying. We heard last week that it has been refused yet again and therefore no pumps are available for at least another year. I feel enough is enough so I am going to see George's consultant next week and I shall be challenging the PCT about this. Does anyone have any info that will help me with my cause or any guidance they can give.

Thank you so much.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Emma,

Welcome :cwds:

I'm a bit confused by some of the points in your post. What is a PCT? It sounds as though you are dealing with a different health care system. Are you in the US?

3. EmmaD

EmmaD Approved members

Sorry I am in the UK.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/uk/

Hi and welcome.:)

I hope someone from the UK chimes in.
    Meanwhile, above is a link for the UK CWD families.:cwds: Maybe join their mailing list to get updated info.
    There's an UK forum here, but I don't think it gets much traffic...

Hope you get answers soon.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:) Glad you joined us. There is a section down below for UK residents Im hoping if you posted this question there that others from the UK would have some helpful advice. Do you have Facebook? I know several people on Facebook that are from the UK. I could try to get you contact info for them if you like

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh, forgot to say, if you want to update your details, go to User CP (top left) and you can edit your location (if you want to, of course:)), and add a siggy, if you want.
    It helps when you post a question, so people know what your situation is (recent dx or not, etc).

:)

7. EmmaD

EmmaD Approved members

Thank you so much I shall update my user CP, I didn't realise I could do that, I did wonder how to get that info on as I could see it on others and thought it really useful. I have joined the mailing list. Unfortunately I am not on facebook at the moment Becky but thank you for your kind offer.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

CWD also held its first Friends For Life conference in the UK this past summer. If you could plan to attend the next one you might learn more from the pump reps about how to make the system more responsive to your child's needs ;)

More information can be found on the CWD homepage :cwds:

9. EmmaD

EmmaD Approved members

Thanks Sarah I shall look into that, a good lead to follow. The problem that we have here in the UK is that pumps are not readily availalbe to the children, no child in my area has a pump they are all on injections.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

11. EmmaD

EmmaD Approved members

Thank you. I shall take a look.
    :)

12. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Sorry for coming in so late Emma... I've replied on the UK board

Aileen

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm so sorry I managed to miss this thread! If you are still around, I'd love to answer any questions you have about getting funding for a pump in the UK; I got fully funded in July '08 and now also have partial use of continuous glucose sensors funded as well.