- advertisement -

Insulin Pump Failure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rhonda, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Rhonda

Rhonda Approved members

So today first emergency with Lilly's pump. Bolus wizard not working properly.:eek: First problem with pump in 3 year's. Called medtronic trouble shooted it long story short replacement be here in the morning. Problem is had to suspend insulin pump therapy until tomorrow at 8 p.m because why Lantus had to give her 12 unit's. So now it's MDI"S until then not happy bout it. Insulin pump therapy is so much better. I personally think. I hate the thought of going back to that true it's Only 1 1/2 day. But it mean's giving my baby shot's in her arm again. Make's me feel terrible. But they let her chose a new insulin pump color she chose pink her other is purple. So she is happy bout that and she say's the shot's don't hurt but her site change's never hurt neither so we are lucky there.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

sorry you have to go back to MDI.. we've had to do that before, I didn't bother with Lantus either since the pump would be there in the am (we always got it by 10am the next day.) We just checked way more often and gave novolog every few hours.. Last time Kaylee's pump was replace pink was the new released color, she wanted it so bad.. Its different than the other colors, purple is see through.. the pink itsn't really see through, its a cloudy pink.. she loves it:)

3. Rhonda

Rhonda Approved members

It has arrived

Lilly received her pink replacement pump this morning she was excited to see the new color pink her other one was purple:)

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Hi, Rhonda -
    We just had the same thing happen - dd's pump failed Wednesday night and they overnighted a new one to us that arrived just after 10:00 yesterday morning. My dd was NOT happy about going back to shots, but it worked out much better than I could have anticipated. We gave half her total basal in Lantus, and then hooked her back up to the pump at 50% basal late in the day (didn't do it earlier because her afternoon basal needs are teeny tiny and I didn't want to add anything to the Lantus). Glad you've got the new pump, and hope the transition back is uneventful.

So here are the positive aspects, as I see them: 1) We (and you) have learned that you can make it through this glitch - you know what to do, and it's not a huge crisis; and 2) dd got a new pump color (mine went from blue to purple)! After all, it's all about the accessories, right?:p

5. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

If it was just the bolos wizard not working, then you could of left the basal running, and just give shots for bolus amounts. I am glad she got her new pump