- advertisement -

Insulin pump choices for a 2 1/2 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ajsmama, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sariana

sariana Approved members

We are in the process of getting our pump for my 4 year old. It was a hard decision to make for us. We didnt like the Cozmo personally, so that was never an option for us. We loved the Omnipod, but once we saw the actual pod, we realized that it was too big for a 4 year old to wear.

It was down to the MM and the Animas Ping. We loved that the MM had CGMS capability and was well known in the medical community, but those were about it. The Animas Ping, is more waterproof AND that remote was the seller for us. We loved that we could give her the meds without having to take out the pump. Great for travel and when you dont want to undress her to get to the pump ;)

She also loved the colors of the Ping. We know that that isnt much, but when you are trying to talk to a 4 year old into the pump, every bit helps ;)

I hope that this helps ;)

2. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

Hi there! Welcome to the forums, this site is a great resource for information and support! :)

We just started my son on the pump less than two weeks ago. He is 2 (as of December). We chose the Animas Ping, which I did not see listed on your list.

We chose this pump for a couple of reasons over the others:
    1) It has the smallest basal increments of 0.025 units per hour (this can be very helpful with a toddler)
    2) It has a remote. We have rarely had to pull the pump out to adjust things. We bolus soley from the remote. This allows us to bolus him without drawing attention to the pump.

We are using undershirts with a pocket on the back from: http://www.mykpp.com/store_Childrens.html

We ordered the toddler shirts, they are a bit pricey, but SO worth it! He wears one for a couple of days before we need to change it. We only have 2 of them right now and will be ordering more soon.

As far as the other pumps, I am not too familiar with them, though I have heard good things about them all. We ordered a "dummy" Omnipod and it seemed a little large to put on our toddler. The other drawback I see with the Omnipod is that you HAVE to do all adjusting, bolusing, etc from the remote. There are NO buttons on the pod itself. If the remote breaks, you have to do shots until the new remote shows up from the company.

Good luck with your pump shopping! :)

3. mom of girls

mom of girls Approved members

We use a minimed pump for our 2 year old, which she started with at 17 months. She has never touched or messed with it. We were able to meet with a rep from all pump companies that we were interested in exploring before making a decision. I would also recommend a saline trial before making a decision. IMHO, the pod seemed to be too big for Addie. i know they will send you samples as well. Good luck! you won't be disappointed in pumping!! it was the best thing we could have done for Addie.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Another very happy Cozmo user here :D That said, I think the best way to pick a pump is to actually handle each and quite literally see which feel most comfortable to you. I find the Cozmo to be really intuitive and very easy ( especially when Maddie was younger) to talk a caregiver through an action even if it was something they had never done before.

But in the meanwhile if injections are troubling you might look into geting an "inject-ease". It's a small, plastic device that holds the syringe. It does two things which were helpful to us when Maddie was little. 1. it hides the needle and 2. it's a spring loaded mechanism so you push a button to inject the needle rather than "stabbing" the needle in. Maddie still prefers it on the occasion that we have to give a shot.:cwds:

http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/main.aspx?cat=2&id=421

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I did want to add that there are very, very few kids who actually NEED the tiny basal amounts of the Animas. And even if they're getting less than the 1.2 units of basal a day, there are ways to work around that on the other pumps.

I agree that you should look at all of them and hold them in your hand. Ask the trainer how to give a bolus and give a practice one. I'm not a fan of the way you have to dial the dose in to the Animas pump - one more way for my MIL to screw up the dose! But Animas users get used to it and don't mind it. Really, they all work the same. It's just which one "feels" right to you.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The big deal about the smaller dose isn't that you don't really need it because you need more than 1.2 a day. Its that with variable basals, there are times that it may be needed.

We have one time period overnight with Emma where she is at 0.025 and I'm getting ready to have to do a 30min alternating 0.025 / 0 / 0.025 because even THAT is too much for her. But other times believe it or not, she gets 0.225.

Even though someone may not need the 0.025, the other nice thing is that its in 0.025 increments. So, you can change from 0.2 to 0.225 instead of having to go to 0.25 right away. We find those little bits to make a big difference, believe it or not, for her. I'm always surprised when a 0.025 dose makes that much of a difference but it often does.

7. Leece

Leece Approved members

Animas has awesome customer service. The rep has been very good at helping us when we had the wrong supplies. He took them and replaced them with something we can use. The suport lines are great they phone you back ASAP when you are having a problem. We use the Animas 2020 because we do not have the Ping in Canada yet and it is awesome. Love it.

Really want the Ping in Canada. I love the idea of remote bolusing. It is bad enough that I have to sneek into her room and test her. Sucks to have to open her sleeper and get the pump out.

Addison - 14months dx Nov 08

8. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

This is very true for those who are insulin sensitive. Jess doesnt have any basals at just .025 because she doesnt need them, but when we adjust basals, we adjust by .025 and it works perfect. I think the jump of .05 may be too much at times.

9. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Yes, he knew he didn't want tubing. We were worried because he was only using 3-4 units of lantus, (some days less :eek:) that you can't program a 0 basal into it, but my son was refusing to wear a pump pouch. Thankfully we have not had any trouble with it. the .05 has been small enough for him. The customer service at insulet (omnipod) is fan -freaking -fastic! and you can buy a spare (backup) pump for 400$! If it has any problems, they will overnight a new one ( but the backup is great so that you have a second pump always on hand if you need if for the day until the new one comes)
    I also love that the pod has NO buttons on it. I hold the remote in my purse, and he can't do anything to his insulin (on purpose or on accident) I can do everything on the hand held PDM and then spend 2 seconds beaming the info to the pod, without ever messing with anything on him. great at night too, test BG and make corrections, run temp basals, with the remote, no bothering him while sleeping.

BUT I would encourage you to look at all pumps, we would not change pumps, but everyone is different, people have different needs and different personalities, and what one person likes might not be as important to another person. If omnipod were not available , and he would carry a pump , we would have gone with the animas, the smaller amounts can help alot over the next 4 years with animas. for us the small dosing thankfully was not an issue, but for others it is!:D

Good luck... with pumps there is no "bad" pump, just find the one that fits your lifestyle the best ;)

10. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Hi there. My daughter went on the Animas 20/20 pump when she was 2 1/2. It was last summer and I fought it every step of the way for about 4 months, then decided to give it a try in the summer. She did and has done so well on it. I now couldn't see going back to shots, but I am still pro-daily injections. In the beginning, it's very stressful and life-changing with a toddler and the pump. HOWEVER, within 5 weeks, I finally got it. We had the BEST BEST BEST Animas nurse trainer for us. She is now our friend forever. So, that helped too. But yeah, I thought I'd be on MDI's until she was 8 or 9, but we took the plunge and are now very satisfied. But it's hard in the beginning.

PM me if you need to, if you have any other questions.

11. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

PS - and the pump took a lot of the anxiety away that I was having with MDI's because as a toddler, they want to eat whenever they want, so I was having anxiety always giving her shots almost every 2-3 hours. But with the pump, she is not on a schedule anymore and it's just so much easier for all of us to bolus her with the pump. It definitely gives a family the feeling of more freedom.

12. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

PM me for info on using the omnipod on a toddler. We started Griffin on it at 2.5 years. See photo below. I'm happy to answer any questions. They will be coming out with smaller pods. I'm not sure when though.

Kirsten

13. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Hi - Sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis, but glad you found this site!

My son started on the OmniPod right after his 3rd bday and it is AWESOME!!! No tubing, no priming, all insulin delivery is done via a remote etc... Takes just a few minutes to change a site. We've been pumping for 3.5 months so I am no expert, but thought I'd let you know it's a great pump and works well for our toddler! Good luck!

14. Pennylane

Pennylane Approved members

My son started on an Animas pump when he was 3. He's been pumping for 3 years now. We chose the Animas because of the lower basal rates. That doesn't matter too much anymore, but when he was 3 it did. We used those lower basals all the time.

15. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Yes - kaycee and I were comparing this weekend. I do like the features that the cozmore offered. The remote was the selling point for us. I really wanted to put her onthe omni pod - but she did not want it - so I wanted something that I did not have to turn her over or keep her sitting by me. She can be reading, doing her DS, or running around the room and I can give her a bolus. I love that feature. We also use the .025 basal setting for 2 different times during the day. And she is 8.

However - I think the Ping has WAY too many steps to go thru. I mean I feel like I am constantly going back and forth thru screens . . .I do wish I could look back on the pump and see all that I bolused for. I can see when and how much - but it does not break it down.

All that said - we are loving it and I think once you make a decision - you get used to the bells and whistles of whatever one you choose. I really liked the cozmore at the demonstration and had we had a rep come to our home - we might have gone with that one. the Cust serv with MM was what pushed me away from MM. Actually - everytime I talked with someone and explained that we were still on the fence with brand of pump - they proceeded to bash the other companies. I really dispise negative campaigning. I have never had that with Animas. My DH loves his OmniPod - but it was just not right for Willow. So we have 2 different kinds of pumps in our house. There is one out there for everyone. They all essentially do the same thing and it really does come down to choice. Whichever one you choose - you will love it.

Vicki

16. Dayeandclaud

Dayeandclaud New Member

New parent of a T1 Toddler (2 year old son) with a question. I've read this thread and see everyone referring to the Basal dosages as to why they selected their device...but my question is, why is this the main consideration instead of the bolus increments? As a 2 year old, the amount of "fast acting" (bolus) insulin we give him often results in spikes up and down because the 1/2 dose that MDI's administer at a minimum just is either too much, or too little for their little bodies. So my question is why should bolus increments (so being able to administer a 0.025 dose instead of the usual 0.05 dose that most pumps offer) not be a serious consideration in addition to the Basal dosage increments? I'm trying to understand this....our pump class is next week and we have to decide which pump to select.

Thanks beforehand.

17. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

It was for us, which is why we went with the Medtronic pump for my then 2.5 year old. Over 5 years later, I am still pleased with our choice, and we selected a Medtronic pump again this time.

Having said that, there comes a point where precision in dosing becomes a moot point because of the imprecision in determining the number of carbs consumed. Can you really be sure that he ate 23g of carb? Did some get dropped on the floor? Were the carbs divided up homogeneously throughout the mixture? Was all the package labeling accurate? What about the thousand other factors that might also be in play with the way his BG level is moving or how his body might handle that meal? Precision in dosing is golden, but ultimately diabetes is not mathematical enough to get too hung up about .01u here and there! Any pump does better than the 0.5u doses you can get with a pen or the 0.25u dose that you can eyeball with a syringe!

18. samson

samson Approved members

The lowest basal setting may or may not matter depending on your toddler's typical long-acting insulin dose. If he takes 1 units a day, then take that and divide by 24 to get his hourly use: .04 per hour. That means you'll need the smallest basal settingl of .025 per hour during some points in the day. If he uses 3 units of long-acting a day, that translates to .125/hour and many pumps can deliver that. Also keep in mind that basal rates vary with time of day and illness. Our son gets between 2 and 3 units of basal per day, but he needs almost no insulin during the early morning, so the 0.025 unit dosing was still a benefit. You can get around this limitation on pumps by, say, dosing at 0.05 units/hr for half hour, than off for half hour, etc, but it's not ideal.

The bolus increments are less relevant because AFAIK most pumps deliver insulin in at least 0.1 unit increments (some, like Ping, go down to 0.05), which is far smaller than the 0.5 unit dose that is the smallest you can deliver by syringe. No matter what you will have better resolution in dosing with almost any pump than with a syringe. Also, my sense is that the small rounding errors in dosing (say, between .1 and .15) are dwarfed by the natural variability in the body's insulin response to food.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  19. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I agree with your larger take-away, but I just want to clarify that the Omnipod can deliver a .05 bolus.

To the original question: we started our daughter at age 2.5 and never had an issue with the .05 minimum for either basal or bolus insulin. But of course YDMV!

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members