- advertisement -

Insulin possibly stolen

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brandi's mom, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

We were headed to a friend's house for a get together a while back and since we were rushed to get there Brandi brought all her stuff to refill her pump and change sites when we arrived.

A few hours later when we were leaving she couldn't find her insulin vial. We all thought maybe it rolled under the couch or in the couch cushions or something so I told my friend to look for it and I'd come pick it up.

Well she never found it and I figured someone accidentally gathered it up with the trash and tossed it.

But I just found out this weekend that my friend's daughter says she saw that "big boy" with it. The big boy was another person's 17 year old son who came to the gathering this time because they didnt trust him at home because he got caught with drugs.

Do you think its possible that this nimrod mistook her insulin for a drug and stole it?

2. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I would hope not for his sake -it can kill him.

3. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

I would report it stolen or missing since it is a rx so atleast you have records so if this "big boy" did take it and decides to use it and hurts or kills himself you have your bases covered when they are looking for how he got his hands on insulin. Just my opinion and I tend to live by the saying CYB (cover your bottom).

4. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I'd report it stolen ASAP! her name wasn't on the vial with the script info was it???

5. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

your pharmacy may be able to do an override and get you another bottle...so sorry:(

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

There would be an element of basic Darwinian natural selection in that sort of outcome..

7. Brandi's mom

No there was nothign on the vial, the RX stuff is only on the box.

Would I call the cops for something like that??? We live in a totally different city from the boy that took it, does that matter? They are about 1.5 hours from Houston.

8. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I don't know, that seems like a huge hassle to me. As far as you're concerned, the vial was simply "lost", not stolen. If I were in your situation, I would just let it drop. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think you would be liable if anything happened - you didn't sell or distribute the vial, it was just misplaced and potentially found or taken by another kid.

9. Brandi's mom

I was thinking about telling the boys mom but then I wouldnt want her getting mad at me for blaming her kid for stealing, but I really wouldnt want him to hurt himself. I mean what if he is hanging on to it to "try out" when he gets his hands on a syringe.

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I read an article about bodybuilders abusing insulin. It is undetectable by drug tests..I don't know if this pertains to what happened with your daughters insulin, but the name "big boy" made me wonder.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Honestly, I can't imagine that anyone with the remotest knowledge of drugs could possibly mistake insulin for something they could get high off. It states clearly on the vial that it is insulin, and people have generally heard of insulin. It's possible that someone could pick it up in a hurry, briefly mistaking it for a drug, but I think he wouldn't actually take the stuff unless he is aiming to take insulin (which there would be many explanations for, from bodybuilding to a suicide attempt).

I don't think you have any kind of obligation to report this or to tell the boy's mother, unless you want to do so for your own peace of mind.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I wouldn't do anything. You really have no evidence that this kid took the insulin. What are the cops going to do?

13. Blue

Blue Approved members

I wouldn't call the cops but I would let my endo know all the details - both to have an official "lost/stolen" report somewhere in case something bad does happen and to get the vial replaced.

14. Brandi's mom

he was a tall skinny thing and the girl that said it was only 9 years old, she may have said big boy just to differentiate between him and his younger brother who was also there.

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I think I would call the mom. Just say, "Hey, my daughter is diabetic and she was missing some inuslin. So and so thought she may have seen your son with it. I'm sure she's mistaken but I just want to warn you that insulin is extremely dangerous. I'd just feel awful if something happened to your child so I'm just letting you know. Like I said, I'm sure he doesn't have it, but just in case, I wanted you to be aware that it can kill a person."

You aren't accusing or asking for a replacement or cash or trying to get anyon in trouble and I think your genuine concern for another child's life will come across. Basically you're just letting a parent know that if her son has this and uses it it is extremely dangerous/deadly. I'd want to know if it were my kid.

16. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

This is the most likely scenario, in my opinion.

I have 2 nine year olds and I think it is very possible that she may have saw this "big boy" with something that she was unfamiliar with and knows the insulin is missing and decided it was what he had. I can totally see that happening.

I agree. Right now all you have is hearsay from a child.

17. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

I don't know about the logistics of reporting it (maybe the homeowner should call the police?), but for me, this situation would fall in the category of, "How would I feel about this after the fact if it was stolen and someone did get hurt/dead because of it and I did nothing knowing of the possibilities . . . "

Not to mention potential legal ramifications. It's not like you didn't know it's missing. And you do know that it can kill if injected into a non-D someone . . .