- advertisement -

insulin pens

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nmco123, Dec 28, 2010.

1. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Hi all,

looking for feedback on novolog pen. We are on humalog injections (vial and syringes) looking for an easier way of travel for Colin without vials (already dropped and shattered 2 bottles!) were not quite pump ready yet and I keep seeing commericals for a novolog pen, any suggestions?

Thanks, Nicole

2. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We use the Novolog Pen Jr which you can dose in 1/2 unit increments for anything over 1 unit. We've never done the vials but in the 10 months we've been doing this I have never broke one of the cartidges. Definitely easy stuff. We do use syringes for Lantus though and I find it a pain in the butt trying to get air bubbles out, measuring the stopper to the line the right way, etc. I would recommend the Novolog Pen in a heart beat.

3. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Thank you! Sounds great, im defenitely lookin ginto switching, just sent my NP an email. We often use half units and dont have half unit syringes so this will be great instead of "eyeing up" so to speak!

Thanks!!! :)

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son didn't like the pen and I didn't like the leakage that occurred with each injection.

What I did is leave the vials at home, but fill up a few syringes and carry in a hard glasses case. All I needed to do was push out the insulin not needed prior to the injection.

5. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

We used pens for Novolog and Lantus before we switched to the pump. Both worked very well for us.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

they make a pen for Humalog - if you are just looking for a pen, you don't have to change insulins.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Same here. It took a little while to get used to how hard you need to depress the cap (to inject), but it was an easy-to-use option that we very much liked.

8. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Kendall pumps with Omnipod, but I ALWAYS keep a fresh pen (Novolog Jr.) in my purse. It has really come in handy if her pump falls out.... I think it's great and it's very easy to use. Much handier than vials and needles....

9. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We've used pens since day 1. They switched from the IV to pens in the hospital. My son was 9 at dx, so we never needed half units. We use the novopen and the lantus solostar pen.

they're super easy to use, and the novopens are really sturdy. I like the refillable pens rather than the disposable ones, because they are heavier and hold up to dropping etc. The novopen jr, which does the half units is a refillable pen.

10. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

We use the Novolog Jr Pen and we also use the Levemir Pen.
    No complaints.. No troubles. :cwds:

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I use Novopen Jrs. When doing the training for them, my CDE dropped a vial and in broke. In compensation, she gave me a NovoFlexPen, which is a disposable Novopen. It was awful and required too much force. I like the Novopen Jrs much better.
    But what I really hope for is a Novopen Echo (available in Canada and Europe but not in the USA).

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh used the Novolog pens for 7 or 8 months. Ours only came in 1 unit increments which was a downside. But Ashleigh preferred them over the syringes they were easier to dial up and she could give her own injections with them.

13. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

The Humalog HD refillable pen only does 1/2 doses after 1 unit. i does not do dose less than the first 1 unit. it is a great pen, but very heafty. also, the pen needles come in various depths.

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We used the novopen jr. It does 1/2 units after the first whole. So 1 unit, then 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. It was great, easy to use, and carry. The cartirdge were refills, and the pen not disposable. Since we began pumping I see they came out with even smaller pen tops (needles). We stayed with syringes for lantus, since it was only once a day at home, but the novo pen was a must. And having a different delivery system means you're less likely to mix up the insulins.

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Do these use the same refills as the Novopen jr.?

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members