- advertisement -

Insulin 'going off' in tubing/cartridge due to heat?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by angiej, Aug 12, 2010.

1. angiej

angiej Approved members

Quite simply, we notice that Alice's numbers are rising significantly (and staying there) 48hrs after new cartridge/site change etc.

Is it possible that the insulin is 'going bad' within the tubing or cartridge after this short time because of us being in Texas (100 ish degrees)? I guess I hadn't thought that this could happen in such a short space of time (not being used to such high temps) ... if its not this, then I am starting to wonder what else could be wrong ...

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

If it is happening regularly, I think it is more then likely that she is getting poor absorption at the site. We had to regularly change every 48 hours for 4 years! We are just now starting to make it 3 days.

3. angiej

angiej Approved members

In the UK (ie at home) she has always been 3 days with no problems. Only here (TX), this last week that we have been getting clear problems after 48hrs that are not resolved by changing the site (which was my first approach) - only when I changed the site and the insulin did it seem to improve her numbers.

I didn't think insulin could 'go off' this quickly, but just wanted to ask others who are more used to these temps ...

4. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

I had been having the same problem with Joseph. We live in Texas and once it started hitting 100 and he was playing outside the insulin seemed to be less effective. He's been in Utah and Wyoming for almost two weeks and has had no problem. I think the heat does make a bit of a difference.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Oh, then yep - the heat is for sure cooking the insulin!

6. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

What insulin are you using? Is it Apidra? Because we use Apidra and we are having more problems this summer than we ever have with stubborn highs--we live in S.C. and I don't think we've hardly had a day go by where the high wasn't in the high 90s. We are seeing stubborn highs but also noticing that the whole bottle of insulin isn't lasting one month. A bottle is only lasting about three weeks before we're having to throw it out and open a new one.....it's definitely the insulin because we'll start seeing her back in range within a few hours of the new bottle.

7. angiej

angiej Approved members

We use Novorapid, which I believe is the same as NovoLog.

Thanks for your answers - I think I will just fill the cartridge with 2-3 days worth and replace it each set change. Seems to waste more insulin, but if it keeps the wacky highs out of the way, then it will be worth it for the rest of the time we are here :cwds:

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep - it does feel wasteful, but this is something we have to be religious about in the summer!

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I got in the habit of changing Ava's set and insulin every two days when I was close to having baby #2. Thinking if I went into labor it would be good to hand off Ava with a fresh set, we just changed it frequently.

Her numbers were beautiful. Now we do it as standard practice.