- advertisement -

Insulin from A+ Medical Supply

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tena, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Tena

Tena Approved members

I rec'd my first shipment from A+. I am thrilled at the savings they are giving me! However, the insulin I rec'd was HOT. They shipped from FL to TX via UPS and they only put 1 small ice pack in a bubble envelope with the insulin. The ice pack was hot and so was the insulin.

Would you use it? I put it in the frig right away but am worried that the insulin has been jeopardized. I told Em we might try it as a bolus only through a syringe first letting the pump do the basal to determine if it is still good. Does that seem like a good idea? Someone please let me know what you would do.

I guess I need to call them and let them know, but I really hate to complain as I am saving so much money not having to pay the copays. I do have some extra insulin on hand so if we lose this months prescription we wont suffer so much but I do hate the thought of my insurance having to pay for bad insulin.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks. Tena

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Nope- no reason to feel bad.
    Call them and explain- have them fix the problem (a new bottle of insulin). I woudln't use it.
    Explain how it was packed and you'd like to change it for ALL future orders.

3. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

I wouldn't use it at all. It loses its effectiveness above a certain temperature, and I know it's been over 85 here in Mississippi, so it probably has there as well.

It was suggested a while back to put a big black X on the product before you send it back to they don't accidentally ship it to someone else.

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

No I wouldn't use it. Just give them a call. I don't deal with them, but when I did call to see if I could (no) they were really nice.

5. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

They will replace it for you and just ask them to double ice it from here on out.

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Yep, call them and let them know. We had this happen a couple of times, they were really nice about it. Just ask them on all future orders you need it double ice packed. I also have them ice pack it year round, not just in warm weather.

8. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Can I ask what A Plus is about? Do you pay for A plus or do they just work with your private insurance company to get you more supplies, etc. for what you pay?

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

http://aplusmedicalsupply.com They wave your copays on all supplies you get from them, they accept what your insurance is willing to pay! They have saved us THOUSANDS :eek: If you have an HMO you probably will not be able to use them. If you call them they will find out for you and set everything up for you. We have been using them since shortly after Hailey was dx (almost 2 years). Sure they mess up once in a while but they always fix any problem and the money savings have been sooooooooooo worth the occasional hassle :eek:

11. zell828

zell828 Approved members

No HMO, just private insurance (Health Partners) through my husband's work. We pay like $600/month for insurance. We normally have copays. My SD actually reached her limit for this year and supplies are free right now. BUT our big problem is we have two households and the school to all keep in supplies and we never have enough. Last year we paid our strips out of pocket and let Bio Mom take the break from insurance because they only allowed us to fill every 20 days or so.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

My husband's insurance is self funded and they approved right away. I would call them if I were you :eek:

13. zell828

zell828 Approved members

There is no cost for them to become involved? Yes, I think I will definitely call. Thanks! :)

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would call them to see. We recently lost our state aid (thank you part time job for putting me just over the income limit :mad:) and I have started using APlus - I am not quite sure how much I like them or don't like them - but I like not having to pay out a couple hundred every month!

They seem to be kinda needy - by that I mean I have to call them alot - but they also seem to be very flexible and polite!

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would call them and let them know that it was hot, they'll replace it.. and let them know that you need it double packed with ice.. I make them do this in the winter time even shipping to NH.. I typically receive the insulin still cool, never HOT.. I subtract 3 days for shipping and only keep it for 25 days.. I've never ever had a problem with their insulin..

16. zell828

zell828 Approved members

So we keep our normal insurance and they just work with them to get us more supplies and no copay? Is that how it works? You don't have to pay APlus for their services? It seems almost too good to be true.

17. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

You must communicate with them about adding more ice packs. You need to even remind them. We had to stop using them because our insulin was always warm when received I'm sorry to say - even when double packed with ice (of course it's good news we're coming upon winter). :eek:

18. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

They don't bill your under pharmacy benefit. They bill under medical (like your doctor does) and then they waive the copay.

19. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

You need to be careful if you have a DME cap though. The way they bill will blow through it in no time!!!! We had to stop using them for insulin. Arrived way too hot!

20. Tena

Tena Approved members

I talked with Donna at A+ this morning. She was very apologetic about it. She is sending a return label and postage for me to send it back.

She also suggested since we live in the south that we only get the insulin from them during the winter months and locally through the summer months. That way there shouldn't be this problem. But as she mentioned it is hot there and hot here and they do not ship overnite to keep costs down.
    She also said she would not put a claim for it to my insurance so that I could still go get it locally for this month so I won't have to worry about the insulin.

I have to say she was very nice and Like someone else said, the savings will definately outweigh the few problems that could creep up.

And even if I only use them for insulin 1/2 the year that is still a substantial saving on my copays. I will continue to use them for all other supplies.

Thanks Tena