- advertisement -

Insulin fail...big oops

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I had a few cartridges of insulin that were getting close to their expiry date, so in an effort to use those up, I decided to use them in the pump. No big deal. Except for the fact that I forgot to push the air out of the pump cartridge first. I put in the needle and pushed...that little orange stopper can fly pretty darn far when a cartridge full of air is pushed into that little cartridge:D

Let's just say we will be smelling insulin on the carpet for a few days. Luckily, I did have enough to fill one cartridge!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, I've actually done that before! ;) And yes, the smell of insulin fills the room for a few days! :D

3. DadTheImpaler

DadTheImpaler Approved members

I've done that, too.

Another insulin spillage event: my parents' first try at changing my son's cartridge in the Ping without supervision, and they didn't rewind the plunger first. They inserted the cartridge and wondered why everything was suddenly wet. Oh well, carried on. The next day called me wondering why the pump had less than 10 units left.