- advertisement -

Insulin expiration date

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

The date on insulin is until the end of the month right? I just found a little vial of humalog that must have been back when we got 2-3ml bottles a month instead of the one bigger bottle. Kayla must have opened both boxes used one vial and put the other vial back in (unopened) and it got put on its side so I didn't see it being short and they are all kept in the butter keeper of the fridge. It expired 2-12, so until the end of the month right?

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I always figure the expiration is at the end of the month.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I would still use it, even a few month past the date, but that is just me.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Agreed... I had an endo tell me once that unopened and properly stored insulin is really fairly stable, and that she'd be comfortable using it up to a year past expiration (this applying to keeping back-up insulin on hand in case of a pump failure).

I'm not sure I'd really push it that far, but yes, it does expire at the end of the month, not the first day :)

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I'd use it without batting an eye. It's been stored properly it should be just fine.