- advertisement -

Insulin Effectiveness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by karpoozi123, May 29, 2006.

1. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I know that a vial of insulin can get spoiled (from heat or something) and be less effective. Is it possible to work the other way?

2. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

sorry I dont understand your question!!! Yes insulin can go bad from excessive heat.. untill opened its supposed to stay refirgerated.. excessive cold ( like freezing) can make it go bad too... does this answer your question

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Insulin can go bad from excessive cold. Novolog suggests that their insulin should not be used if it has been frozen. We unfortunately had this happen recently when an emergency cartridge got pushed to the back of the fridge and froze. What a waste:mad:

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I think you're asking if there is a way that the insulin can be more effective, instead of less effective as when it gets to hot or cold. I don't think that insulin itself can be more effective. However, we've been told that you should avoid hot saunas, whirlpools, and very hot baths immediately after injecting insulin. When your body gets hot, your blood vessels dialate and absorb insulin more quickly. My mom (type 1 for 39 years) has often had problems going low at the swimming pool, just from laying out and tanning, especially when she was on NPH and Regular. I believe that the heat from the sun made the NPH work more quickly than it should have.

I know, too, people have said that insulin can be more/less effective depending on where it's injected (abdomen, legs, rear, etc.) I think the insulin is absorbed quickest in the abdomen and most slowly in the rear.

What are other's experiences with this?

5. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Brendak is right. I meant that without doing anything different, other than using a new bottle of insulin, my numbers have been much lower than usual (and twice I went really low) in the past 3 days. I don't know what it could be other than the insulin because I have not done anything out of the ordinary. Thanks For all your help! :)

6. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

I use a cheap Radio Shack digital thermometer that also stores the highs and lows. I set the probe around my insulin, as to make sure that it hasn't dropped below the freezing point for my vials.

7. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

I keep one in our fridge too, for the same reason. I found ours in the grocery store. It really helps! We haven't lost any insulin due to freezing or overheating, in 10yrs. Only one vial that I can remember, because the vial got dropped and cracked. :)