- advertisement -

Insulin Carb Ratio for Adults???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, May 12, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I didn't want to Highjack Dave's thread, but it got me thinking...what is a "typical" (I know it will vary - YDMV) insulin to carb ratio for an adult.

Right now Tyler is 1 unit per 10 carbs and he weighs 75 (soaking wet)....so what is it like for a 175 pound adult? Does it get to the point where it is 2 or 3 or even 4 units per carb?

I know silly question, but my overtired mind is curious.

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

Right now, I'm at 1 u for every 8 g carb, 1:7, or 1:6 for sick days, stubborn highs, and that awkward time of month.:rolleyes:

When I was 15 or so, I was at 1:10, but a friend of mine, same age, was at 1:5. She went back closer to 1:10-ish later on.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Many of the adult type 1s on here are still young enough to be on the tail end of puberty and the number of carbs per unit of insulin is probably going up.

I was dxd at 17. My ratios were about 1:7 for a year, 1:8 for a couple of years, and most recently have been in the 1:12 to 1:20 range.

Of the adults I've met with type 1 diabetes, the range is from about 1:5 to 1:20.
    Some of the adults I've met with type 2 diabetes and extreme insulin resistance need to take more than a unit of insulin per gram of carbohydrate, although most type 2s do not have anywhere near that level of insulin resistance.

4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jonah if you are at 1:12 or so then your carb ratio is no different than Jacob's who is 10 yrs old. There is a 50+ yr old type 1 at my work (dx'd less than 2 yrs ago) and I believe he is at 1:15.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

So it appears that the big dose difference in adults to children is in their basal and not the bolus then...hmmm.... very interesting!

What's a typical adults basal dose for a day???

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Mine depend on the time of day.. 1:6 in the morning, 1:10 the rest of the day unless my #'s have been running high, then I do 1:8 or even 1:7. Likewise if my #'s are running lower I'll use 1:12 or 1:15.. I also often do this if I will be extra active just so I'm not trying to guess at how much to reduce a meal bolus by. It seems to work reasonably well.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult. 115 lbs. Thin. 40 years T1. Ratios on Apidra 1 to 7. Sensitivity 1 to 66. Aggressive in my coverage. Stuff gets tweeked.:cwds: Ali

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Ali the T1 for 40 years, 115 lbs. Thin. Just saw the basal questiion. Basals range from 14 to 17 for 24 hours. Apidra :)ali

9. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Apidra, T1D x 16.5 years, 25 years old now...
    5'4" and umm... plump...
    Basals are 24.35u over 24 hours...
    I:C is right around 1:10 or 1:8 depending on the time of day...
    ISF is 1:50

When I'm active (haven't been able to be really at all in a few years because of a funky cardio thing going on) I use around half this amount of insulin...

10. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

The carb ratio is a good question- from what I have seen is average 1:10 for adults I guess... however I am VERY curious about Basals. My son (age 13, 115 pounds, dx aug 2010- honeymoon is over) is on 25 units lantus. So can I ask adults answering this question to include basals as well?

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Here weight does play a big role and the more the person weighs then you will begin to see carb to insulin ratios like 1:2, etc. Also the basal insulin requirements will be greater. I know a more and more people with type 1 that are clearly overweight even obese so I am seeing this even more.

12. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

Mine is 1:16, which is the same as when I got my pump nearly 12 years ago. I have one, and only one ratio for the entire day. (My basals have never changed either and I've never used temp basal.)
    It probably helps that I'm fit - 170 pounds, 5'11.
    Most importantly, my diet is pretty regular and I almost never eat carb-bombs so the ratio, once set, works well. My numbers have been great for decades.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is actually a good point - if your variables remain constant (what?:eek:) then you probably won't see the yo-yo-ing of basal/bolus needs.

14. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Adult pumper. My breakfast and lunch ratio is 1:15 and dinner is 1:18. ISF is 1:75. Ratios havent changed much since diagnosis 2 years ago. I still make a little insulin.

15. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I just totally had a "hmm...." moment.
    The poster above mentions that she still makes a little insulin, and I went "JEALOUS!!!" and then when I thought about it, I'm really not jealous at all, because when your pancreas is completely kaput in the insulin department - it never spurts out a little more here and there and causes unexpected lows... That's ONE diabetes variable I don't have to worry about any more! LOL :D

16. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

My current basal in my pump is 24.4u/day I run temps a lot though, so my actual usage can end up above or below this.. I don't really worry much about what it is so long as it's working :)

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Does 18 count as adult? I'm 120lbs, 5'5. Basals around 15U most days, and I:C is 1:10.

18. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

5'6", 170 pounds, active. My insulin needs fluctuate like crazy even as an adult. (nope, no honeymoon, no insulin production at all) I'm currently on the low end of my TDD range (~50-80u through my adult years) using 50-60units a day, about 38u basal. Correction is 1:50 most of the day with a few hours of 1:65. Standard ratio is 1:12 or 1:15.

I'm aware that I use a crazy amount of basal, catches my doc's attention every time, but he agrees it's right for me even though it doesn't match the usual formulas.

19. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

My I:C is 1:15 during the day, then 1:18 at night

My correction/ISF (sorry get the terms confused, whatever insulin point to dropping points is) is 1:100

I get about 20.o units in basel a day.

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My basals are 18 units throughout the day, and my carb ratio is either 1:15 most of the day, and 1:10 later in the evening. Using Humalog. I'm 25 and have been diagnosed for 6 years.