- advertisement -

Insulin after Meals?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BellasMom, Jan 9, 2010.

1. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Good Morning!

I have been reading the Carb Perfectionist as recommended by a member here. I don't have too many problems with my daugther not wanting to eat her meals, but it does happen every once in a while. I read in the book something about insulin after meals so you don't have to worry about misdosing. Do any of you do this? What insulins allow you to do this? Any advice is much appreciated =)

2. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

No, I do not do that because my daughter rises high quickly. On injections she may wait some minutes before starting to eat depending on what her blood sugar is.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We did it when my son was still on shots, because he was little, and there was no predicting how much he would eat. You can do it with Humalog or Novalog. You'll just get a bigger spike than you would otherwise.

It's one of the big benefits on pumping. We can dose him for what we know he'll eat and then just give him another dose afterward for anything extra.

4. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

We do... most of the time, but it's just a luxury we can get away with now because his body is still producing a good deal of insulin. We'll eventually need to go to a partial pre boluses, then a full pre bolus I would imagine. For long meal times (like a buffet where he'll probably be eating for more than a half hour) we'll still do a partial pre bolus.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD, who was diagnosed mid-November, has an injection of rapid-acting insulin, Novolog, after meals, with the dosage based on grams of carbs eaten and pre-meal bg level. My understanding is that this is not optimal because her bg level starts to rise as soon as she begins eating and the post-meal insulin is playing "catch up."

This approach is necessary because DD cannot predict (and neither can DH or me) how much she will eat at a given meal. She's only 5 and weighs 38 lbs. Our endo said that she needs to have her shot as soon as the meal is over. Sometimes, we let her eat her dessert after her shot, if we are certain she'll eat it.

Sue

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We started out dosing after meals and we still do that for the most part. My son is better with knowing what he will eat than my daughter so we pre-dose him more than Kylie. We pre-bolus for things we can and things that will raise their bg up too quickly to wait. It works for us to do it after still. We did it with Humalog both MDI and now with the pump.

7. Meghansmom

Meghansmom New Member

I always give my daughter insulin after she eats as she is very unpredictable when it comes to eating. We have been doing this all along which is only since december! We are in canada so I'm noticing on these message boards that their is a difference in numbers for highs and lows and possibly insulin? anyway Meg takes aspart her fast acting insulin after she eats.

8. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I have always given my insulin (Novolog) after I eat. I was actually never taught to do it before I ate. I don't see any problems with highs as long as I give it right after I am done eating, or within 10-15mins. But that is just me.

9. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

We only pre bolus about 1/4 of the time because we rarely know exactly what he will eat. When we were pumping it was great because I'd give him a few units early and the rest when he was done. Now that we're MDI again he's not willing to do two shots. I think his BG runs a little high for about an hour but it's what works for him.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We always dosed after a meal, thats how we were taught because kaylee was 2 at dx... when she started pumping (3months after dx) we would dose as soon as she at some, and then the rest when she was done. Now that she is older we prebolus 15carbs (depending on what she's eating, if its really high carb we dose more.. and we know that if she decides she's NOT going to eat, we can easily make up that 15 carbs with a juice box.), dose in the middle and then when she's done, at the very least she gets two boluses per meal. She uses the cgms so we can see whats happening, its amazing what a prebolus does for the meal spikes.

Her endo's office prefers everyone to prebolus, but for little ones, especially on MDI, they dose afterwards.

11. Denise

Denise Approved members

When Molly was dx'd we were taught to bolus after eating. This way, Molly has the freedom of eating however much she wants. There are rare ocassions that we will bolus before..but not often.

12. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan's endo always wanted us to give insulin before eating even though he was only two at diagnosis. We had many meals that ended with a glass of juice because he didn't eat everything.

13. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Christopher was diagnosed at 20 months old. We were taught to bolus him afterwards, as there was no rhyme or reason to what he'd eat. He's 2 1/2 now, and we are starting to split the bolus (since he has an Omnipod now). We usually cover his milk before he eats, and then his meal afterwards.

Our endo told us that he might spike a bit higher afterwards, but it would prevent a lot of food battles and issues that we wouldn't want to get into with a 2 year old.