advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insulet Customer Support Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swellman, Mar 11, 2012.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

We are on a trip in New York City. We planned ... as well as I would normally for a 5 night stay. We had a backup vial of Novolog, all our supplies and 4 extra pods. Last night, Saturday night, around 10:00 PM we had to change a pod. I filled the pod and waited for the beep and instead got a wailing pod. I tried, unsuccessfully, to shut it off with the pin-in-hole trick because there was NO way we could sleep with a toning pod so I dismantled it - last of the old vial so no big deal. Three pods left for 5 days. Second pod ... same thing. I recovered as much insulin as possible and prepped the 3rd pod. Two pods left for 5 days. We're sweating. Third pod ... fail - exactly the same way. Now we're in trouble. Repeat ... 4th pod fail. Now we're in NY with no pods and only the 4 syringes I brought in case of a need for mini-glucagon shots.

We called Insulet after hours and waited for 15 minutes - no surprise there. I was told by CS they could get some pods to me on Tuesday but immediately acknowledged that wasn't a good thing. He explained he would leave a message and personally follow up in the morning with the supervisor. In the meantime we agreed that I should call my local rep and see if he had any contacts in the area for our emergency. I called the rep and left a message and proceeded to get up every 2 hours to administer Novolog. We kept BS down around 150 by correcting and adding the basal amount as needed.

We also called our endo and told the Dr on call our situation. I identified a drug store nearby and asked them to call in a Rx for Lantus and some syringes if needed - just in case we had to do without pods until Tuesday.

This morning we got a call from the morning supervisor and he told us we should expect a call from a CDE in the area. He was very concerned and was very accommodating. Soon after we received a call from the CDE. We explained our situation and she told us that her relative would leave 4 pods for us with his doorman. She was extremely helpful and asked if we needed anything else and told us to call her any time for any reason. We took a cab over and picked them up.

We brought them back to the hotel and loaded one up ... Beep Beep and Prime. Whew.

I called the CNE back per her request to tell her we were good to go. While at Central Park I received a follow up call from the morning manager to see how things went.

Later on during dinner I received a call from our local rep apologizing that he just went through his voice mail and asked if we need him to contact the local rep here to help out. I told him the CNE came through.

I can't say how much I appreciate the response from every single person from Insulet and our pediatric endo as well. In my opinion every single person from Insulet pulled together to help us in what would otherwise have been a very trying experience.

No, I have no idea why the pods failed. If, when we get home and they work fine, then I can only speculate that something happened during the trip. We carried them on board and they went through normal scans like we have done so many times before with no issues. They weren't dropped but they were left with the bellman for a few hours so I can't be sure he didn't toss the bag around.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Wow. Glad insulet came through and helped you out! And the fact that the CDE near by helped you out as well.

I can't image that a whole box of pods would be dead apon startup so I'm really curious what actually happened to them that made a difference on your trip.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Suppose to have some good weather this week.

3. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

Good to know, we were cross country a couple of weeks ago, and as much as I planned and brought almost double the number of pods that I thought my son would need, it's always a worry in the back of my mind. All was well though.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

My granddaughter also uses Omnipod, and I have to say that your post brought tears to my eyes. It is so heartening to hear about such a great response. Your excellent management of the emergency is totally impressive as well. We can all learn so much from this one post.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ugh. I got a sick feeling in my stomach reading your post. Pretty stressful way to start your vacation. I'm glad Insulet came through for you, and hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That sort of thing is the kind of nightmare I build up in my head before going on trips - that however prepared I am, there could be some incident which means that I'm left without supplies and unable to get hold of any.

I'm so glad that Insulet came through, and I also hope that the rest of your trip is calmer!

7. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

ugh

Emm said it best when she referred to your experience being the exact nightmare that she builds up in her head prior to travel - me too! That is the nightmare in a nutshell and you handled it so well, I only hope that if we are as unfortunate as you were, we can keep it together like you did and pool resources to make it all work out so well - bravo!

I am so happy that people came through for you, for a time, I had felt Insulet's customer service was suffering and it truly was. Then, I think, somehow, they heard us (or read us) and really worked toward taking a step back and reflecting on serving their customers. I think they made a quick turnaround after a brief period of less than stellar responses. I rarely have pod issues but, in the recent past, I get a good response from Insulet in dealing with them and for that I am grateful and it restored my complete confidence in the company and the product.

I am so relieved for you, I was on pins and needles as I read your account... wow!

8. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

This was so reassuring for me to read. I'm thankful everything came through for you. My son wants the OmniPod, we go to pump class this weekend. It's nice to hear a positive experience. Sometimes (speaking in general here-not necessarily CWD forum) it seems like all we hear about are the negatives. It's wonderful to hear about the positives also. It really does help in the decision making process. Thank you!:)

9. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

another positive experience..

First, glad everything turned out well and you enjoyed your vacation.

We had a pump issue this weekend too. Mann was forunate to attend RIDING ON INSULIN snowboarding camp. Sean Busby, founder of Riding On Insulin, Omnipod wearer, said he wears his PDM while on the mountain. I usually don't let Mann wear his, he usually just test beforehand and has gtabs on him. The Camp does testing on the mountain so I decided to let him wear the PDM (instead of a meter) to test. We put it in a spibelt with gtabs, poker and strips. He wore it in the small of his back. Well one good fall and the PDM was smashed. Mann was devastated (he knows the cost of a PDM). Fortunately Mann's instructor for the day was a Insulet Rep (Insulet sponsered the camp). The Rep and clinical nurse manager told us not to worry. They had a new PDM in the car, we could have it at no charge. By dinner I had a new PDM in hand, and Manning was a happy camper.

Great CS! :)

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

Wow, W. That is pretty impressive. Free replacement of broken PDM on the spot -- doesn't get better than that! :p

I really want Insulet to make it. In spite of off and on issues, I think it's still the best pump option by far. The CS has really been good for us lately too.

Swellman -- glad it all worked out ok and that you got new pods to save the trip. We've done the multiple shots of novolog for basal before and it sucks.

11. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Wow-- we went through that same experience last Easter. We had tickets to a dinner theatre 3 hours away from our home. Knowing that we needed to do a site change, I opted to do it in the long car ride and had packed 3 extra pods to get us through the weekend. After the first pod started screaming upon filling (just like your experience, Swellman), we turned off every electronic device, including the radio, in case it was a communication error? But it happened with them all. :eek: I called our rep on a Friday afternoon at 4pm and she contacted a rep that was in our current location. He met us at a Target parking lot with 3 pods and even waited in the rain until it was successfully inserted in DS. They saved our whole Easter weekend!!!! His explanation was that for some reason it was a pressure filling issue. I'm actually very frightened that it is still happening as we're going on a 9 day vaca next week to Disney World.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

Always a good idea (hindsight IS 20/20 right?) to carry back-up lantus, novolog and syringes. I even try to keep 10+ extra syringes around in case the pump fails when I'm out and I have to pull insulin from a cartridge - that happened to us once at a pool party and was a big ugh.

Glad they came through for you. It is interesting that none of the pods you brought worked - but you'd think if going through x-ray/scanning did that there would be more reports of it - unless it was some sort of new scanner we haven't heard much about.

13. swellman

We're still on the pods that they gave us in Manhattan - all made it back fully functional. I have absolutely no theory as to what may have happened and I would guess any feedback from Insulet would be a guess at best.

It will be much more telling when we get to our old supply and see what happens then.

This is NOT a theory but just a thought - we were flying during the big solar storm. We didn't drop the back pack they were in but my 11 YO son was carrying it - he could have been rough with it but I didn't see it. It was scanned along with our carry on luggage. If all the other from that original box work fine then it was either a random event (scary but possible) or we caused the failure through the travel process.

Always, always take your back up Lantus - this is the lesson learned for us.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

Maybe this time it WAS magic!;)

I don't know - that all 4 failed on the way up seems like it wasn't coincidence. I'm not so familiar with the Omnipod to even guess what happened though. I'd think my whole system was broken if I had that many failures in a row.

15. swellman

That's the only thing I am absolutely sure it wasn't. :cool:

16. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Glad it all worked out!

We have been almost 4 years with the omnipod, and they have always have excellent customer service for us too!