- advertisement -

Instructions for caregiver?!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Feb 27, 2012.

1. polly

polly Approved members

Well, it's been 15 months since DS's dx and the hubby and I are ready for our first overnight adult trip! Cue heart palpitations...:). My folks are babysitting for us and are well-educated, participating in N.'s care frequently. I wanted to leave them some instructions for site-changes (if needed, we use a ping), etc. I realized I should probably go ahead and make a diabetes binder to use for sitters including a script for bolusing, bg checks, etc. Any recommendations? I have generated a few documents when he started kinder this year, but we luckily have a full time nurse who was already familiar with the ping and dex. What do you use for training others to care for your child?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think the best thing we ever did was to make a video of a site change and a sensor change for my parents. It's so much easier to conceptualize when you can see it.

3. polly

polly Approved members

Great idea about the video! My parents watched the animas one when he started the pump, but I think it was a little fast, overwhelming as they weren't seeing the pump use on a daily basis.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Have they had a chance to see you do a couple of site changes "in person"? If not, I would definitely try to have them do that too.