- advertisement -

Insets not sticking

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by malyssa, Jul 1, 2009.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Any tips on how to get them to stick better? I love them and find them easy and pretty painless to insert, but they're not sticking for me. I've been putting tape over it, but it makes me real itchy. And tips would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
    Malyssa

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

What about using a adhesive wipe underneath it?

Can you use just a teeny amount of tape over - just barely going outside the edges of the Inset to keep it down?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How are you prepping the area? Are the not sticking on insertion, or are they just not sticking for very long? Is it due perhaps to summer heat and showering more?

4. Jboudo01

Jboudo01 Approved members

for my daughter we wipe over the site with IV prep afterwards. It made a big difference for her.

5. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

We use an IV Prep wipe first, then insert the Inset. Not had too many problems with sticking, although sometimes if she lets the IV Prep get a little to dry before insertion, they don't stick as well.

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We use the Skin Tac wipes before and they work great. Early on we used IV Prep first but we had a lot of sites fall off then. Once we switched to the Skin Tac, we lose FAR fewer sites.

7. ilesha

ilesha Approved members

When we first start we started with the contact detach and after a week or two they no longer stuck. The doctors switched him to inset10 and now that fixed the problem. He grew out of them.

8. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I use Hypoallergenic Tegaderm before I put the site in. It makes it stick better and it doesn't get irritated.

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Aaron finds the Insets stick the worst of any set he's tried -- which is too bad because it's his favourite set. Even with Skin Tac (which he uses for everything) it doesn't stick as well -- I think the area of adhesive is just too small. It's OK in winter, but come summer and more sweating (not that he's THAT sweaty a kid) it's kind of a losing battle.

Skin tac underneath and a tegaderm or IV 3000 with a hole cut in it placed over top (a lot more comfortable than the tape) does help. But he tends to use the Quicksets more in the summer, just because they stick better for him.

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks for all of your replies everyone. They are all really good suggestions. I use IV prep before insertion...I do have that cement stuff (I cant think of the name right now, lol, but it starts with a T) that I use for the dexcom sensor, so maybe I'll try that next. Thank you again.

Malyssa :)

11. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb has the opposite problem. His stick so well he has to use finger nail polish remover to get it off. He has been known to wear them 5 days, shower everyday and they are still sticky.

I hope you can find something that fixes it for you.