- advertisement -

Inset users - help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We have been using Inset 30s for YEARS now but we aren't getting nearly as effective sites as we used to, so I thought I'd try a straight in site again to see how that works. The Dr office gave us several and an instruction book, but its been SO long that its reading like greek to me.

I seem to remember that I had to take the tubing completely off in order to insert the site, and I have to pull the trigger, but I'm really not remembering much. Can someone give me a "2nd graders" step by step instructions for putting in an Inset.

thanks!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I watched a lot of videos on youtube before Cam switched from Omnipod to the t:slim. Diabetic Danica is great at explaining/showing things. Fast forward to the 4 minute mark on this one and she goes over the Inset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wj1xH8AM7Y

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So the inset II? EIther insert, then disconnect and prime, or prime before inserting, then insert.

ETA - I second Diabetic Danica!

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'll check out Diabetic Danica. And I didn't mean what is the process of putting in new site and attaching it to pump, I mean literally when do I pull back on the trigger, what do I twist, etc, in order to put the site in. Attaching the tubing and all, I'm fine - I change the tubing with the cartridges and not the sites.

5. dianas

dianas Approved members

Nancy, did you figure this out? Here's how I do my set changes with Insets. First remove the paper from the bottom of the inset. With insets the main differences I would think are that the tubing is literally coiled in the serter so you need to unwind the tubing. Next I remove the paper backing on the adhesive for the site. It kind of peels off like a snail. Also remove the cover on the needle.

On the outside of the serter are two sets of dots the ridged dots are where you can hold the serter as you load it. You reach from underneath the serter and pull on the white part to load it. This is where that kind of twisting motion comes in as it locks into place. Once you've loaded the inset you can put the tubing into one of the notches on the serter to hold it in place while inserting if you want. (I sometimes do this sometimes don't.) The clear dots are where you press to insert the set.

Hope that helps, and hope that insets solve your problems.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Dinas gave a perfect rundown on what to do. Keep in mind, you do not want to put the tubing in the slot prior to pulling the inset back. This will make the cannula slide up the needle and once on can create an occlusion. So, uncoil, pull back, put tubing in slot, then put set on.

7. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

OMG!! Thank you for posting...I tried the Inset for the first time tonight. We had to go on MDI for several days while waiting for Tandem rep to demo different infusion sets. Reading this post, and watching Diabetic Danica realized I made a really ridiculous and obvious error. I didn't remove the needle cover. Doh! No wonder DD said it didn't hurt at all. Good thing tail end of Lantus from last night was still working. Ducked a major diabetic problem night. Thanks for the post. Total life saver tonight. Told my DD that this "stupid" mistake was between her and I. LOL and we did.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Don't feel bad - I WATCHED the video and still forgot to remove the needle cover when we tried this particular set. :wink: