- advertisement -

Inset site won't stick

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Amy C., Sep 17, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This morning is site change time for my son and we are both frustrated. He cannot get a site to stick and we have gone through 4 sites!

It seems the device won't release the site. It is obviously sticking to the skin, but the plastic holder has a tighter grip on it than the adhesive does to the skin.

He has used IV prep, then mastisol on the adhesive, cleaned the skin with alcohol, and used nothing (like he usually does).

He plugged back into the old site, but we can't use this forever.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the device to release the site?

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

What type of set are you using?
    Inset 30's?
    Straight sets?

My first check would be to try a whole different lot number of sets because this sounds to me like a manufacturing flaw.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We had this problem with a box of blue insets. We called the distributor (Edgepark) and they asked us to mail it back (minus the botched sets) and they replaced the entire box for us. Ever since then, we now hold down the tube when we pull the needle out. I don't know if it makes a wink of difference, but it made us feel better!:rolleyes:

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He is using the straight sets.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I suspect he would be left holding the tubing against the skin with the site still in the inset container.

6. obtainedmist

Probably! It's a bad lot number I would guess, just like what we experienced.

7. sage68

sage68 Approved members

When I had elly on these sites, we were told once it was placed to push the center of the inserter (the white part you pull back on) several times before pulling off. I don't know if that would make any difference for you though. I sometimes had to wiggle just a bit to have them release but im thinking you might want to call either animas or your distributor if it is different because it might be a bad box. I would definitely try a different box and see if you get better exults.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He finally got one to stick. He started to pull it off and could get his fingers on the edge and hold down the site while he pulled the inserter off.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Amy is he compressing the sides, then holding the center of the white part for a few seconds, then, holding the "yo-yo" part with one hand and then pulling up gently on the center part ( the white part)?

I'm doing this from memory, but I think that's how we used to do it. Then I'd run my finger around the adhesive circle just to make sure we didn't have any air bubbles.

Hope he get's them to stick! :cwds:

10. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

That used to happen alot to us. We used to stick a chopstick under the inserter to hold down the actual site. Now we POD so we don't worry about that anymore.
    Leslie

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure we are talking about the same inset site. He holds it on the place he wants the site and squeezes the edges of the container around the site. It goes straight in and he pulls the container off, leaving the site.

This is not familar to me:

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

By the "yo-yo" part I just mean the casement of the whole thing, the part that you squeeze in insert. :eek: Sorry.

We used them for years and found that holding the center of the inserter down for a moment, while still holding steady the outside ring of the inserter and then lifting the center part up, helped the site release from it's holding more easily. It taked two hands to do it properly. If he's not holding the outside (the yo-yo), when he pulls up on the releasing center ( the white part) then it tugs too hard on the site. Also, make sure that he has the tubing in that little cut away ( we call that the mouse door, cause it looks like a cartoon mouse door :p) if he doesn't, then the site won't site flush on the skin.

13. obtainedmist

We use this method to keep the needle from going in at an angle and kinking the canula. It's definitely a two handed approach and one that we were coached to do by someone on the Animas Tech line (who also used insets!).