- advertisement -

inset insertion

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by eeljam, Apr 15, 2009.

1. eeljam

eeljam Approved members

Hello to all. I've got 2 questions in regards to inserting the 90 degree Inset infusion set.

1) Does anyone just stick it right in, without actually pulling back on the insertion mechanism?

and

2) Does anyone insert the inset first and then connect it to the cartrige and fill the tubing with insulin?

Thanks for your help!

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

You always want to fill tubing and watch the insulin come out the end before inserting. Some reasons. To make sure everything is working OK before putting in to the body, to make sure you do not accidently administer insulin into yourself, to check for bubbles and clear out. Ali

3. eeljam

eeljam Approved members

what I meant in question #2 was to insert it the skin, then disconnect at the site, and then attach to the cartrige and fill the tubing. I was just thinkng that doing it that way might make it a bit easier so that you don't have the pump attached to it while inserting. Just a thought. Anyone try it that way?

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

If there was ever a quality control problem in the production of the set, sometimes the cannula itself can be blocked. Even if insulin were to come out of the disconnected tube/set - it might not actually get in, under the skin. Rare - but stranger things have happened. We use quicksets - have a skinny child and found they don't hurt as much as the diagonals. Which pump are you using?

5. eeljam

eeljam Approved members

I'm using the Animas Ping.

I'd still like to know if anyone has tried inserting the Inset's without pulling back on the insertion mechanism, basically just manually inserting it?

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We do not have the pump attached to the Inset when we insert it. We were trained by our Animas Rep ( also Type 1) to insert the Inset, detach the tubing from the set, attach to pump, prime, reattach to set, fill cannula. I didn't realize until I went to the website and looked at the instructions that officially they tell you to attach to the pump and prime first.:eek:

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We always attach the Insert tubing and prime first. Only prime the cannula after you fill the tubing. My experience sometimes it take more 'units' 12 to primt the tubing depends on how the cartridge is seated.
    I also pull back on the spring to Inset. Are we talking about the same one? The Inset 6mm? I am not talking about the Inset 30.

8. someone

someone Approved members

Either way works the same. Sometimes I forget to prime before I insert the set, so I just disconnect it and prime after.

9. eeljam

eeljam Approved members

yep, same one! 6mm.