- advertisement -

Inset 30's - Do you like them?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We currently use Inset. I tried a sample Inset 30 tonight. Went in painless my son said.
    Wondering if it will
    last longer than a straight in set? Sometimes his sets seem to last short of 3 days or it could just be what he is eating. What has your experience been using Inset 30 versus a straight in set?

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I did like the insertion of the inset 30 better, but I had a lot of problems with them and sets being bad (maybe it had to do with the angle?) and had to switch back to straight sets.

I think it depends on each person=) but you could order one box of angled just to try them out=D you don't have to order all the same types of sets

3. LJM

LJM Approved members

DS has used them for over four years, exclusively. They have been reliable and we have had good success with 3 days of use or occasionally more (4). We have had no scar tissue issues. I like them because he can self-insert pretty well with them at this point.

That said, learning to insert them took some getting used to. One of our CWD members has a video that was useful about insertion of these sets (I think you could google it and it would come up). I had trouble getting the placement of the inserter "feet" on the skin just right and would go too shallow or too deep at times.

In fact, I like them so much that I hesitate to move from the Animas Pump to Medtronic though I would dearly love a larger cartridge--just because I would not want him to carry a separate inserter around for Medtronic's angled sets. We are out of warranty and I am still on the fence there.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I am guessing you know this but there are reservoirs you can use for the Medtronic pump that allow you to use any luer lock infusion set.

Here is a link:
    http://www.applieddiabetesresearch.org/model332_326consumer.html

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

we've been using various versions of these since day 1. Comfort short, before they created inset 30s, and Silhouette on the MM. We like them, however, I think after 6 years of pumping we're getting scar tissue and non-absorption in some areas. But we switch them up with MIOs every so often now.

I'm not sure if you know, but the silhouettes are exactly the same set, made by the same manufacturer, just minus the inserter. Honestly, once you insert by hand it's so simple you'll wonder why you ever needed it.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is where we failed...massively.
    We got a few samples to try and even though I watched the video, I just couldn't get it right. The inserter was our problem area. As a result, my daughter wouldn't let me come near here with them:eek:
    I would have been better off just ordering 1 box of them and practiced on myself or a stuffed animal. Expensive, but IMO things would have gone much smoother. Who knows, maybe in time she'll let me try again...

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We used silhouettes for years(2001-2003) with the inserter some, but eventually just did those by hand because the inserter seemed to make my kids bleed almost every time. I think years ago when we used silhouettes that the needle may have been longer. They said the new Inset 30 did not hurt at all. They said the old silhouettes we used hurt very bad. I am thinking we were told not the same as old silhouettes.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

the inset 30s are 13mm, which is the same as the Comfort Short and Silhouette 13. There is a longer (17mm in both Comfort and Sils) but the needle gauge is exactly the same.

But otherwise, it's exactly the same set, just with the inserter packaged with it. I've removed an inset 30 from the inserter and compared the two - same exactly set. (just like the mio and inset are exactly the same set).

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We started with the inset and only got about 2 or 2 1/2 days out of it, but we routinely can get 4 days out of a inset 30. Every once in a while we get a bad insertion and the cannula comes out curved in almost a C but usually we get a good insertion and long use.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

yes we used the 17mm Sils. That is all that had back in the days we used the them.

11. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We tried the inset 30 after a number of failed sites with the 6mm straight set. My son got an infection right at his site twice with the 30s, though, so we switched back.

12. LJM

LJM Approved members

Maybe we will get a few to try. I knew about paradigm sets but I thought there were warranty issues there.

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

We have used Comfort Short and Inset 30 for 4 years. She has only had a handful of bad sites ever. She will not consider a straight in site.