- advertisement -

Inset 30 Q & Cozmo Users -- Have you tried a new pump yet?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by RosebudMama, May 24, 2009.

1. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

I NEVER thought I'd say this, but we're on the verge of giving the Ping a whirl.

In the beginning, I was so heartbroken about losing Coz, that I couldn't bring myself to consider another pump...a little time has past now...and I'm interested in the offer to try the Ping for $200.

I was wondering if any Cozmo users out there have input about experiences with other pumps.

Likes...dislikes?

Also, we use currently use the Insets. When I was browsing the Animas site, I saw the new Inset 30 angled infusion set...any feedback on those?

Thanks,
    Wendy

2. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We switched to the ping becuae I had some inside info on cozmo going under about 2 months before it happened. We were only on the 3rd yr of our warranty but insurace did cover a new pump w/o a fight. I did it this way becuae I wanted to keep the cozmo as a back up pump and still have another yr warranty on it.

We switched to the ping. It is a good pump but in all honesty, the cozmo still has much better features and it took a while for me to get used to the ping for my son. It was the same with MM, we tried that one before the ping and MM also did not compare to the cozmo. We are used to the ping now but hands down, nothing feels are right as the cozmo did. The remote part of the ping is one feature that is just really awesome. We do not use it as a bg meter but middle of the night bolusing without touching the pump is priceless:)

Can you tell we miss our cozmo?? I am glad that we have it for a back up pump though!

3. Nelson

Nelson Approved members

We just finished our training and start on the OmniPod. The $50 deal to Cozmo users, with no strings attached, was too good to pass up, especially since that $50 is less than half the cost of 10 infusion sets for the Cozmo and the $50 OmniPod deal includes 10 (actually 12) pods.

My wife was not happy about changing to a new pump, but she couldn't argue against a little inconvenience and education to save 50% on a months supplies with no strings attached. So, if we can't convince her to keep going with the OmniPod at the end of the month, well, we can just go right back to the Cozmo for the last two years of its warantee and we will have saved $50 in the process.

As for a review. The OmniPod works very well, of course. The customer service has been exceptional. All very friendly, informative. Heck they even sent a trainer to our house to train us (unlike Cozmo where we had to drive an hour and a half away for training). You know the training cost Insulet way more than the $50 we paid, so they obviously believe in, and are committed to their product.

More review: Derek never liked putting in his Cleo90 sets with the Cozmo, but the OmniPod is so easy and automated that he likes taking control with it. One of the first things Derek did after putting on his first pod was to gleefully walk away from both his pod controler and his old Cozmo. He walked clear accross the room laughing malevolently with glee . . . he was unattached and still receiving insulin for the first time in two years.

The OmniPod software is more user friendly, informative, and intuitive to my mind than the cozmo software was, but the Cozmo software was significantly more powerful in being able to multi-task (deliver boluses while you looked through history or whatever). Also, I liked the Cozmo's feature of suggesting the amount of carbs needed when blood was below target - it helped at night when my brain was only half awake and I had to balance insulin on board and food needed and blood sugar levels, and conversion factors and . . . blah.

I love not having to dig around to find Derek's pump at night. I hope we can keep the OmniPod system, but even with insurance, the OmniPod will end up costing us about $400 per year more than the Cozmo. In balence, I thinks it is very good. I'm not sure why anyone would still be using a pump with tubing.

I think every Cozmo user should take up Insulet on the OmniPod offer.

4. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

I've thought about giving OmniPod a try too...but the IOB issue is a dealbreaker for us.

OmniPod doesn't consider meal boluses when calculating IOB...this is a feature I don't think we can live without.

Although, for $50, there's not anything to lose. I just know that IOB is a huge part of our pumping experience...and, ultimately, we wouldn't stick with OmniPod because of it.

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I am waiting to hear about an Omnipod for my daughter. How long did the process take you? I agree that it is too good a deal to pass up and we will still have the Cozmo for back up. I have no problem giving up insulin on board because we have never used it. I do wish that there were more ratios on the Pod, and smaller ratio increments but I think that we can manage and are looking forward to no more tubing.