- advertisement -

Inset 30 problems

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JacksonsMom, Feb 20, 2011.

1. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Since beginning the pump we have had higher A1C's and a much harder time troubleshooting high's. Lately I have noticed that many of the sites have become kinked. I guess there are several ways that this can happen, one of them I think is the way I am inserting them. We use skin tac and sometimes when I go to pull the inserter device out with the needle it gets stuck on his skin. I think that when I try to get it unstuck I may be kinking it. Then of coarse the other theory is that it gets kinked when he is rough housing, scooting down steps etc.

I am unfamiliar with the other sites available. I can tell you that he has very little fat and we only use his tush for sites.

Has anyone else had difficulties with the inset 30's and kinking?

I am soooo frustrated right now trying to get his numbers straightened out. My theories have gone from growth spurts, to rebound phenomenon, to bad sites. UGGG

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We use the Inset 30's. A trainer told us that after you insert the needle, to pull the "trigger" out with your finger before removing the rest of the inserter. It makes for a very smooth exit of the needle from the skin. We use IV prep and Skin Tac for every site change and I don't believe we've had a kink (been using them for 3 1/2 years.) HTH!

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

You might look into the steel canula sets: Accucheck Rapid D or Orbit Micro. As far as sites, I've noticed people posting with toddlers have some luck with thigh areas and backs of the arm. Hope things sort themselves out soon!

4. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Have you tried the regular Insets, the straight ones? We've always used these and though we've had a few kinked ones (mostly in the beginning) we've had great success with them in the tush, tummy and arm.
    The straight in 6mm are much shorter in length and are recommended for young children and ppl who are very lean.
    Our endo told us the longer, angled Inset 30's would be more likely to kink on Sean.
    Just a thought.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler uses the Insets 6mm and is VERY lean. He is also very active and we haven't had a kinked canulla (knock on wood) since he starting using them over a year ago.

6. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We switched to Contact Detach steel sets 4 months after pump start. We had trouble with insertion and Willow hated the inset 30s. Since switching (almost 2 years ago now) we have had almost NO problems and she swears she will NEVER go back to angled sets or cannula sets. the new contact detach is the smallest needle at 31 gauge. Good Luck

7. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Thanks to all of you for the tips. I think what I am going to do is try Brenda's way and pull the needle out before moving the inserter. I still have quite a few of these inset 30's left so I'll try that and see if it works. If not, then I guess it will time to look at a new set!

I wonder if I can get samples of some of the other types of sets so that we can try them before ordering a 3 months supply!!!

8. 4monkeez

4monkeez Approved members

We had the same issue with the inset 30...we switched to contact detach and no problems since, my son is also very slim...we use his butt only...anyway, Animas gave us some free samples of the new site before we made the switch...good luck!

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you could also try Comfort Shorts which are exactly the same set, only you insert them manually. :) This way you don't have to deal with inserters.