- advertisement -

insertion sites for pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mariaweber, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

Our 9 year old daughter was diagnosed in Sept of 2005 (beginning of the school year!) with type 1. Just a couple of weeks ago we switched her over to the pump. She has a very active life (lots of sports, active play...etc.) and we thought that the pump would be great. We were trying for very tight control and she was experiencing lots of lows. Anyway, our issue with the pump is that we seem to have to switch sites very frequently. Last night we did a new site at 1:00 am because she was 22mmol/l and bolusing was not helping very much. This change in sites came after less than 48 hours with the same site. This has happened to us a lot. The pump appears to be functioning, but her blood sugar is staying high. Then, of course when we change the site, with no addtional boluses, she has a low.

Yeesh! Does this get easier? Any suggestions for other sites that work better than the belly?

thanks everyone. this is a great comfort to us.:confused:

2. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

answering my own question

We are going to try inserting at less of an angle. If there is not a lot of fatty tissue, the insertion set can go into the muscle tissue and this will inhibit absorption.

I got this info from the MiniMed number on the back of the pump. we're going to try this. I will let you know how it goes.

cheers:)

3. earruda

earruda Approved members

Hi;

My daughter is also on a Minimed pump. She is 11. In the beginning we were getting a lot of air bubbles in the tubing and we couldn't get her sugars down either. We took the insuling out of the refrigerator (just the bottle we are currently using) and it helped a lot. Sites that Margo likes are her stomache, buttocks and arms (she loves her upper arms but sometimes the IV3000 doesn't stick all that well). Her legs are very muscular and we don't get good control with leg sites. We switch sites every 48 hours... any longer than that and her sugars will not be in as good control. Activity will always bring her blood sugars down.....it is actually a good sign because it shows that she is still very responsive to the insulin. Margo has been on the Minimed pump for 6 months and would never want to go back to shots. It absolutely does get easier. Our first few weeks were very scary and unpredictable. The pump really does give the kids better control and more freedom. You can do it......... I would be glad to talk with you privately if you like. I have been there too.......

4. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

We went through the battle of insertions sites as well! My son is very thin and every time we pulled out the 30 degree insertions they were bent or crimped… We decided to try some 90 degree insertions with 6mm canula and they worked much better… We still found that in the stomach though that these would get bent or crimped so we started using stainless steel there. He through a fit (you know phobia about it would hurt and all)but now his blood sugars are predictable and he says they don’t hurt. We always change after 48 hours though because we get much better results we only go three days when something comes up and we just cannot fit the change in. My son is 13 now and plays Basketball and is very active. He’s been pumping for 4 years now it took us a long time to figure out what was up. Seems that the Doctors and pump companies would help you out more here, we just had to try several until we found what worked… I do think at least for Adam that the shorter 90 degree sites are better.

One other thing we found was that Humalog is more temperature sensitive, we live in Oklahoma and the summers get really hot and it’s normal for temperatures to do a 40 to 50 degree change within hours all year round so the Dr. changed us to Novalog and we saw a major improvement in his numbers just from changing insulin… He’s been using this insulin for over 3 ½ years… so do get frustrated keep trying until you find what works for you daughter everyone is different and what works for one may not work for the other…

Jeff