- advertisement -

Inquiring about Dexcom G4 range ...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Feb 20, 2013.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

So we're two days in to the G4. I need more experience with it but am leaning towards calling it a game changer. One thing has struck me though. I've read many posts about it's fantastic range. I have nothing to compare it to except the range of my OmniPod PDM and based on that the range is terrific. However others comments I've read about the range go something like this:

"... covers my child running up and down the soccer field ..."
    "... all over the ice rink ..."
    "... covers my entire house ..."
    "... receiver sits on my bedside table ..."

This has definitely not been my experience. My room is one room down and across the hall from my son. Zero reception from my room. I set the receiver in the hallway last night. It was about 8 feet from my son's bedroom door then around a corner and another 18 feet to his bed. I left it there for 20 minutes or so and ... nothing, out of range. Then I moved it to just outside his door and that worked 90% of the time with occasional no signal spots. Yesterday evening I was coaching his baseball team so I'm on the field with them. I'm at home plate hitting balls, he's at first base. Nothing. Out of range for most of practice with G4 in my pocket.

Am I the only one missing out on this terrific range experience?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Our house is older so the rooms are small - it is a post WWII Levittown style house. Taking the distance as a straight line I'd say he is about 15-18 feet away from where we set the receiver overnight which is near my husband's side of the bed. If I move it over to my side it loses signal.

I am able to put it downstairs in a spot in the center of our house and it reaches him upstairs or anywhere else in the house - which in a straight line is maybe 20 feet in any direction at most - and he is probably typically less far away than that - maybe 15 feet.

I can't imagine I'd be able to sit in the baseball field stands and pick him up on the field from that distance (which seems equivalent to picking up a kid on a soccer field) - even if he was inside the diamond not outfield.

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

My house is a box-like colonial that is 28x24 :) but even in this small house there are pockets where she'll go out of range.

Are you able to rearrange his room so his bed is closer? You could test it out before moving anything.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It gets almost zero reception when I'm taking a bath even right outside the tub- that I hate. And as you can imagine, it also gets zero reception when I swim, which is considerably worse than the 7+.
    Outside of the water issue- the signal doesn't go through any of the walls at work. At home it will not read me from another floor and is about 50/50 on getting readings on me when I'm out of the room. It's very good at getting readings on me within any room, unless of course I'm in water (and yes, it also doesn't give me readings when I'm caught in a downpour).

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

we get coverage all over the house (house is about 34" side to side) but ironically the one place we don't get coverage is when he's in his bed and I am in mine at opposite sides of the house. Just too many walls I think where we are but I stick it on my doorknob outside my door and we're good to go.

Otherwise I have placed it inside my house and he's been out in the snow and it's picked him up everywhere in the yard (he would have been about 50' away) and we've gone snowboarding and I've been at the bottom of the kid slope and never lost him.

I think it all depends on where you are and what other interference is there.

(or it's cosmic payback for us having such miserable useless experience
    with minimed...)

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

The worst coverage is when he's sleeping. I'm not sure if that's because he's lying on it or what. It can receive when it's on the table and he's upstairs.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

that very well could be all it is. :)

8. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I think the reception depends also on how your house is build. Our apartment is on two floors, long but not wide. Our bedrooms are on opposite side with a long hallway in between. If I take the receiver on my nightstand the signal is on and off. So we just put it on a chair in the middle of the hallway. There we have excellent reception and everybody can hear the alarms. You kind of get creative on what works and what not.

But to just remember that the guaridan was sometimes not even able to read the bg when she was lying on the other side of the bed, and never been able to hear the alarm.....it is all good! :)

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I found that one my bedside table by my cell it didn't work, but when I moved my cell the dex worked all night. On the kitchen table it won't get her in another room, but on a table near the steps it gets her even upstairs. Basically you have to try it. And you have to be aware of other interference. Move it away from your phone or clock radio etc. Not even sure if it goes through a mirror like if your dresser has a big mirror against the wall. There is one sweet spot in my house where it gets her all over. And right on the corner of my night stand if I keep my phone away. Try different things.

10. jblo

jblo New Member

Range

I've had mine for about 1 week. I play soccer. Indoors the field is basically a hockey rink. I leave the receiver on the bench when I play. To my surprise I don't get the missing readings as I'd expected. I get a reading every five minutes wether I'm on the field or bench next to the receiver. I don't know if that is the range, or maybe the transmitter "buffers" the reading until it can send it to the receiver. Maybe someone out there knows.

I'd say, in general, my experience has been the range is greater than the claimed 20 feet. Pretty unusual for a piece of technology to outperform the sales claims. :)