- advertisement -

Infusion sets: General Pain?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Dec 3, 2013.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

New question!!!

After reading in the Parents room about the unexpected painfulness of inserting an infusion set for the first time, it got me wondering.

In comparison to a shot, how much more painful is inserting an infusion set? Is the pain only at insertion or does it continue for more than say, 5 minutes?

I ignorantly figured that it'd be no different than a normal needle... how far off the mark was I?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

In my son's experience, it usually doesn't hurt at all. Other times it is a stabbing pain where the site has to be removed.

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ok... Oddly enough, that I can deal with.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

you can buy numbing cream too and guarantee insertion will be pain free.

We have some, but, to my daughter, it just turns site changes into too much of a "process" since you have to wait an hour to guarantee good results. She doesn't want to think about/anticipate it happening an hour later. When she's ready to change her site, she's ready to change it right then.

5. GChick

GChick Approved members

Exactly. I dont want much of a "process" either. If its (moderately) painful, that's fine, as long as it goes away. But if it is so painful that me, an adult would "need" numbing cream, then I'm afraid to say that the pump will not be for me.

Time will tell. I'm not getting it till a couple days before New Years... It's gonna be a long December.

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I have a high pain threshold, but needles hurt. The Minimed Mio is virtually painless, as is the Roche Ultra Flex(my fav all time set). The Quick
    set sometimes hurts. The Silouette is ugly pain!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our daughter uses the insets and I've never seen her even wince!