- advertisement -

Infusion Set Allergies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Chippy28, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

What do you guys do when your kids develop allergies to their infusion set adhesive?

Within the past month, my sites begin to itch on day 2 and then continue to itch after the set is removed. I am left with a hard lump under my skin and a very red itchy spot where my infusion set was. I haven't changed anything recently and I don't seem to have this problem with my Dexcom sensor sites. Thanks for any advice and ideas.:)

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

You can put tagaderm under the sites. Also bard barrier wipes work great as a barrier between your skin and infusion site.

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We put a small piece of hypoallergenic Tegerderm UNDER the infusion set. We cut a very small hole where we plan to insert and line up the needle. Our CDE said the Inset inserter would punch through but after a couple of bad sites (as well as a bunch that were fine) we started cutting the small hole.

4. haffgus

haffgus Approved members

We also put Tegaderm on first, then insert the site over the Tegaderm. There are other transparent adhesives, but the Tegaderm is the only one that doesn't bother my daughter's skin.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It really depends if there is a possibility you're allergic to the teflon cannula rather than the adhesive. If it's the adhesive, barrier products as suggested by previous posters could work, but if it's the teflon the only real option is switching to stainless steel infusion sets like the sure-T.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Another vote for the Tegaderm clear dressings.
    Also, you may want to switch to something else to take out the adhesive. That may contribute to the problem. Try vit. E oil i/o Remove or whatever you're using.
    For the Tegaderm, don't put it over the skin too tightly. Just press it on. The skin still needs to breathe. It can be a pita to take out, but patience does pay.;)
    Good luck.

7. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Thanks for all the suggestions to use Tegaderm. I will definitely look into insurance coverage for it. I am hoping that will help and I am not allergic to the teflon cannula or novolog.

8. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

My allergy was to the cannula. My trainer switched me to Contact Detach infusion sets. Common for those who have latex allergy. My adopted 18 month old developed the same issue, he's now using Contact Detach sets. We have spina bifida. Bjorn is doing better. I have had no further issues with this allergy since the change.