- advertisement -

Info on artificial pancreas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zakksmom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I just watched this! I came here to see if anyone had posted about it.

Not a cure but it sounds pretty fantastic from this side of the screen!

3. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I saw the video last night and was a little disappointed in the demonstration! I expected more info on how it works. How many times he calibrates? What sensors/pump the ap uses? Does the pump shot down insulin delivery when low? Does it give glucocon (sp) when low?

The device looked cool, that's for sure and it was a good marketing presentation for JDRF and their efforts.

4. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I agree that the video didn't really go into depth about the little things, but it seems like something handy. The only thing that would bother me is that it's another thing you have to carry around aside from the insulin pump and the CGM. Now, if they could take this technology and make the 'artificial pancreas' sync with an insulin pod like the Omni has, acting as the pump itself with a CGM sensor, THAT would be awesome. I do wonder how the device knows how much insulin to give. I'm assuming that you'd have to create some sort of I:C profile because dosing greatly differs between an adult and a child. Nonetheless, this is a really great advancement and I look forward to seeing what else comes from it in the future.

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

I got as much out of it as I do a Tide commercial.

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

didnt say what pump he wore, didnt say what CGM monitor he had.... disapointing to say the least.

besides, we never ever had success with the CGM on matt, that thing failed often. Untill they make them foolproof, whats to say this other gizmo is going to be fool proof.

still hoping tho

7. natallia

natallia Approved members

Sorry for being sceptical, but until there is a faster acting / faster out of your system insulin and more accurate cgm (much more accurate then even our beloved dex4), trying to keep bg in constant control will be like trying to fix Swiss watch with a hammer.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013