- advertisement -

Infant Formula

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pam_r, Dec 3, 2011.

1. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

Hi,
    At the moment I am nursing my 3 month old but having a hard time keeping up with his appetite. I need to start supplementing some formula for when he is still hungry. Now question on formula, some studies suggest that the extensively hydrolyzed fomulas may help protect against type 1. I am willing to try anything that could help. Just wondering if any of you had bought this formula and what kind did you buy??
    Thanks!!!
    Pam

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Before you start supplementing, are you interested in increasing your supply/keeping breastfeeding? Supplementing can lead to a spiraling downward production and is almost guaranteed to reduce your supply further. The best way to increase supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse. Right at 3 months they go through a pretty big growth spurt and it may seem as if he's not getting enough but the continual nursing WILL increase your supply. The frequent nursing is what triggers your body to produce more. Our bodies are ideally designed for this, so if you are interested in continuing, do not supplement. There are herbs you can take to enhance your supply as well, I'd consult a lactation consultant. kellymom.com is a wonderful resource if you need more information. If you are getting plenty of wet/dirty diapers and growth is on a nice natural curve, you are producing enough.

If you are committed to supplementing, just ignore this, just wanted to encourage you that if you want to increase supply, there are ways to do that. Good luck.

p.s./edit: I don't know anything about alternate formulas to protect against Type 1. My son never got formula and has Type 1. There are clearly no guarantees! Breastfeeding is such a wonderful experience for mom and baby and IS the right food, but it doesn't mean you'll avoid Type 1. Didn't want anyone getting the idea I thought otherwise.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

This is just my opinion, but if no one knows the cause of T1, how can they say what will prevent it?

I agree with the previous poster, there are no guarantees. Do what works best for your child and yourself. :)

4. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

I would love to not have to supplement but after I nurse he is crying and I know it is because he is still hungry. I feel like since I went back to work my supply isn't like it used to be... I think I may contact a lactation consultant.
    Thanks!

5. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We are beginning to supplement with hydrolyzded formula for our 4-month old. We asked both our pediatrician and our son's Endo about this. Both were of the opinion that there was some research indicating that regular formula may be one of many possible environmental triggers. For us, we decided that this was a choice we wanted to make, but realize we are in no way preventing, and may not even necessarily be decreasing the odds of our daughter's chance of developing Type I.

To answer your original question, we are using Enfamil Nutramigen.

6. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Nutramagen and Alimentum are both hypoallergenic I believe. What an interesting question! I breastfed for 19 months. I feel that it did help her as she was not dx until age 9. I never worried about T1 because they said it helped prevent it.

I think the lactation consult is a great idea. Also, if you pump it is important to make sure you have a good pump. I recommend a Medela hospital grade for increasing milk supply. You can rent them and the cost will be far less than formula. You can also purchase Medela pump in styles and they are also great pumps. Again, the cost will be far less than formula over time.

How old it your baby?

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

If you do go with the lactation consultant, maybe try pumping your milk and refrigerating it, so you can supplement with that (that is, if your supply is increased).

Good luck!

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Interesting question. My DD had issues that required Alimentum and it's all she drank for a long time. She was diagnosed with diabetes just over a year after stopping it. However...if I had another child and had heard this, I would still go with it again even though it didn't seem to help us just because I would feel better knowing I had given every option a try, you know?

9. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I can't remember the brand but a LC recommended a certain type if I couldn't breastfeed or had to supplement, my brain sucks right now. She knew my oldest has type 1. Usually if you are having a hard time keeping up, it's a growth spurt and your body will do the whole supply/demand thing on it's own when you nurse more often and longer. I learned how to play on my computer with one hand for that reason lol.

10. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

I do have a medela pump that I had used with my other two and still works great. I know that the baby wants more after I am done feeding him but then after 5 minutes or so he is fine.... I won't have any milk to give his daycare provider so I will have to supplement with something (I ran out of the frozen milk).. Nutramigen was one out of 3 formulas that I read about so I think I will go with that one... I guess it is worth a shot...

11. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

Totally agree with what Nancy said. My T1 son never received formula. You can talk to your ob/gyn, they can give you something, I don't remember what, that will help increase your supply. Drink a TON of water. Pump frequently when at work if at all possible. With my 2nd child, I didn't have the opportunities to pump as much at work, and I believe that is what hurt my supply and she ended up on formula @ 4 months.
    With all that said, it is a very personal decision, and the more stress it causes, the lower your supply, :(, but wanted to add some encouragement. You can do it.

12. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I know how it goes with supplementing I had to with both my girls. My oldest who is also the one with T1 had to have the hydrosolated protein formulas. She was on nutramagin, and honestly is was some of the nastiest stuff in the world but it was the only thing she could tolerate when she was little. My youngest was able to have regular formula for supplementing. I also tried to up my milk production with an herb called fenugreek, you know you are getting enough in of that herb when you start to smell like maple syrup. I worked with upping my supply some but not enough to not supplement my daughters. Honestly I wouldnt use those hydrosolated formulas unless there is a medical need for them. They are messy and sticky if you are using the powder and if you lose a bottle due to baby throwing it behind the couch it will be the worst smelling thing in the world. >.< You also need to mix it with really hot water and then let it cool down enough for baby to drink since it does not mix well with a drinkable temp of water like regular formulas. Plus that stuff is just stinky even when its fresh.

13. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

Was going to suggest fenugreek as well. You might also try Breastea.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Not to bum you out, but Ava was on the specialized formula due to food allergies. I nursed her until she was over a year, then I put her on Elecare when I weaned her but she couldn't tolorate dairy or soy.

So I breastfed for a year, and we did the special formula. She was diagnosed at 18 months. :mad:

Who knows the reason why.