- advertisement -

infant dx 2 weeks ago with type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by angelove324, Feb 5, 2011.

1. angelove324

angelove324 Approved members

Hi,
    i am new to this website, i found it in one of the books i was reading for different resources. not really sure how to get around on here yet. my 10 month old son was dx 2 weeks ago with type 1. he is the first in the family to ever have it. this was all very stocking, stressful and overwhelming. i am still very mad at the fact this has happened and i have not accepted it yet. i'm so glad i found this website and i bleieve it will be more great support talking with others who are in the same boat as me.

Rachel

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Hi Rachel. I don't blame you for being mad! You have come to the right place for help, advice and an ear to listen to your troubles. (Cyber ear that is). :) I'm sorry your family has had this diagnosis. It is really hard at first - there is so much to learn - but it does get easier. Welcome. Liz.

3. chelsedin

chelsedin Approved members

Rachel,
    You have come to the right place-I did the same thing when dx and these great people provided lots of support, resources and information. My Daughter was just dx in December at 18mo. so I know exactly what you are going through. Message me anytime if you want to talk- I may not be as educated as some on here but I can be moral support for sure. ;) Hang in there, I've been told it gets easier.. ;)

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Sorry you had to be here Rachel. But...welcome. Lots of great people here who help and who understand.

I'm not too familiar with this but I think someone suggested here that if there's anyone who's infants are diagnosed, to look into it:

http://monogenicdiabetes.org/

5. spamid

spamid Approved members

Welcome Rachel, we're sorry you had to join us. As someone whose been at this for awhile, I promise you can do this. It is overwhelming at first, but you will become the expert at taking care of your child. This is the best place on the web, and you will find lots of support, encouragement, advice, or just a place to vent.

6. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

Rachel,

I'm sorry that you are here, but also happy that you are here considering this new challenge that you and your family are facing. That's what this is, a life challenge for your family, and it is one that, as a great parent, you will defeat!

We've been where you are, shocked, stressed, overwhelmed, and angry. Those are fine emotions to feel right now. We started this journey with an infant as well, 12 months old. Being diagnosed that young brings unique challenges. Please feel free to ask questions, I asked hundreds and still do sometimes.

Here's where we are now...Addie just turned 4 and is tied, with my other 2 daughters, for being the happiest, sweetest, most beautiful girl in the world! :) She is also very healthy. We have experience with a number of different regimins or styles of T1D treatment, including incorporating the use of technology (pump, CGM, and latest insulin) at a very young age relative to most. If you would like to hear how we've made that work for us, feel free to ask any time. My wife is also a CWD member, mom of girls, if you'd like to get her perspective as well.

Take care and know that YOU CAN DO THIS and everything will be OK!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI Rachel, Sorry you are hear. Glad you found us though. Like someone else said, take a look at monogenic diabetes.

The beginning is hard, especially with such a little one. It does get easier, I promise.

8. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

So sorry for the recent diagnosis.

This is a good place to be mad...we get it.

It will get easier.

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Welcome Rachel.
    I am sorry that your son was dx'd so young. You have found a great group of people who are always willing to help.
    Best of luck to you.

10. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 10 months old as well and we're approaching our 2 year anniversary. I promise you it does get a lot easier and you will find your new normal but it takes time. Allow yourself to be angry, confused and scared if that's what you're feeling because those feelings are very normal.

Come back often and ask lots of questions...we're here to help :)

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My youngest son was also diagnosed at 10 months old. We had our 10 year anniversary last year. You found a great website but sorry you had to find us.:cwds:

12. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Be mad! Be very mad! Its ok...we all get mad :) and often ;)

But look up, because it does get easier...and people here at CWD are always a post away :)

13. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

When my baby was diagnosed at 7 months old, it took me a while to get back to "normal". For a few weeks I would check him hoping that his diabetes just had gone away. It was very hard beginning.

It's 2 years later, and we're doing great. He's as healthy as can be, and takes everything in a stride. So things will get better soon.

PM me if I can be of any help.

14. pandaco

pandaco New Member

I am new to this forum too, but my son was dx at 7 wks old. He just turned 6 months so I am also feeling that emotional roller coaster you are on....I hope your kiddo is feeling better.... I know it is so overwhelming!

15. angelove324

Hello, thank you for your great insight and high hopes for us. i am feeling a lil better with the routine during the day, however they keep playing with the doeses he is getting. As his sugar is not totally stable yet. he is so young i dont think they know really what doeses he needs that will work for him. you said your daughter is now 4, when did she start using the pump and how did and is that working for her?

16. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

So sorry for the delay, I sent you a private message.

17. angelove324

Wow 7 weeks is very young. You have come a long way already. I think i will feel better a year down the road from now with everything. I still dont feel like i am at acceptance yet. Are they talking about starting a pump with you yet?
    Rachel

18. angelove324

Thank you for everyones high hopes for us. So far we are doing well and it is one day at a time. Very glad i found this website and i know i will have lots of questions ...

19. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Have your doctors mentioned testing for Monogenic types of diabetes. It is extremely rare, but has been found in a few dx over 6 months old. If nothing else, it would be a way of knowing for sure what type it is. Here is a link. You can PM me if you have questions.

www.neonataldiabetes.org

20. uscmedmom

uscmedmom Approved members

I am so sorry about your child! I felt the same way you did when my son was diagnosed at 7 months. There are lots of parents on here with very young children diagnosed. It does get easier. We are only 7 months into our diagnosis. I am still learning so much, but people on here are great resources. I sometimes sit down and think about Colton having diabetes and just get so angry and ask why over and over again. Ask people on here if you have questions!