- advertisement -

Independence for type 1 child

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bensdad, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Bensdad

Bensdad Approved members

I have a 13 yr old son with T1. He was diagnosed when he was 6. He is currently using a T-slim pump. I’m trying to help him take more responsibility. I know there are kids who are already changing their pump sites, waking up at night to test, etc. by his age. I have let him set his own alarm to check in the middle of the night. I set mine 2 min. earlier so I can watch. When has more independence and is responsible, he can enjoy life more as a normal teen. If he doesn’t know how to handle sites coming out, doing injections if needed, etc., he remains utterly dependent upon parents. I don’t think this is healthy but would like to hear from those who have more experience. Please advise

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Start slowly. Ask your son to take on one small D-task of his choosing and see how that goes after a month or two. Give him time. 13 is still young to take on a lot of responsibility if he is feeling overwhelmed.

3. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

My son is now 19 and off to college. I agree that he needs to know how to do things but I would not burden him when you are around, My approach always was for me to help him when I was there and he did things by himself at school and at friends houses.

rgcainmd likes this.
  4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is excellent advice. They need to know how to care for themselves if necessary but not to carry the weight alone. Burnout is huge in the high school years. Don't put too much responsibility on too soon.

rgcainmd likes this.