- advertisement -

Independence backfired...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Phoenix Rising, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Approved members

The homeschool debate can get rather heated because both sides are passionate about their choices. I moderate at another parenting board and have had it go south quickly. If you could start a spin-off thread about homeschooling, I'd super appreciate it. :)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No homeschool debate that I can see. Folks are just noting that most D kids are well supported in school despite the posts to the contrary because people post here for advice with problems and rarely just to report when things are going really well.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I didn't mean to say all schools do a bad job with D and I'm sorry if it was taken that way. I just meant to say that 1) in my experience homeschooling works very well for managing D and 2) there are a lot of reasons people homeschool (I know in this particular case the child's anxiety was mentioned; don't know if that plays into it) and it is a little simplistic to just say "put him in school" from my perspective.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I never said put him in school. I asked if she had considered it and pointed out that she might be missing out on some great resources that could help not only her child but family. Just because you start out homeschooling for XYZ reasons does not mean that you never reconsider the choice when your life or your family life changes.

I have know a few moms that had the intention to on homeschool their children because they had a disability (learning/medical/behavioral) but then one decided to try our great public schools here and felt that it was better for the whole family at that time. She did not know how much stress doing everything was until she had her child in school for 6hrs a day but made sure to be fully engaged her education volunteering regularly and supplemented at home where she felt it was needed. This mom told me she actually felt more engaged in her family and community by deciding to put her in school. Her daughter thrived and was meeting goals faster then anyone expected. The family thrived.

5. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

I just wanted to thank you for this - we are right in the middle of this decision, and I SO much needed to hear this perspective.