- advertisement -

Indent in stomach- Lipoatrophy??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2CNC, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

In the past month or so, I have noticed a strange indent on the lower side of my 8yo's stomach. She has been on the pump for almost 2 years and has only used her backside for at least the past year- year and a 1/2. She did use that area for pump sites when she first started pumping for a few months. But we always did rotate sites then too.

Anyone have any experience with this? I don't know why it would have waited so long to show up.

The research I see on the internet is not encouraging. But saying it could come from years and years of injecting the same spot which is not the case. I am really hoping it will go away on its own! I will ask the endo next time we visit but hoping for some positive information.

2. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Hey - don't worry overmuch...for whatever reason, that area tends to indent more than others. My now-11 year old used to put pods on either side of her belly button and we had terrible indentions after 6 months. It took 18-24 months, but they're all gone. We use hips now & do not see the indents. When we used upper outer thigh, we started to see them, but not as badly as on the abdomen. The fact that they are still growing is probably a factor in the healing process; not sure if the indentions would go away quite as well or as quickly on an older teen or adult. Good luck!

3. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Oh thanks for that! I did not realize this happens... always learning something new, right? The info online made it sound dreadful but she will be so happy to hear that it will heal & go away eventually :)