- advertisement -

In search of carb list for common foods kids like

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Imnanjl, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Imnanjl

Imnanjl Approved members

Christopher, I cannot WAIT to find this scale! That's my mission for today... look out Amazon.

I do mean they do not wish for us to do a correction between meals. Apparently this has to do with a high A1C (14.5% but I'm not exactly sure what this translates to) and right now her glucose is anywhere between 85 and 400. We are struggling to get her to level out and have made so many adjustments to her Lantus and her Humalog. Does that make sense?:confused:
    This is the hardest part for us. We are very carefully calculating all carbs using a regular kitchen scale, but her numbers are so unpredictable. We've been writing down everything we give her at meals and for snacks. I'm sure we'll get there, but I think her little body is just struggling to adjust to what's happening right now.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Here is the scale, it is great and I use mine every day. If you scroll down there is a travel version for less if the price of the 1450 is an issue:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=2961793469&ref=pd_sl_8hqb7p48tc_e

She is newly diagnosed, of course her A1C is going to be high. But the main way to bring it down is to lower her bg average, and the best way to do that is to bring down those 400's by doing corrections. I am not suggesting going against her endo's advice, but at some point you are going to need to correct those highs, I am not sure what the point of waiting is.

An A1C of 14.5 works out to a bg average of 369. But don't focus on that, because she is newly dx and that is to be expected. Here is the calcualtor I used to get that number. You can also click on the "eAG to A1C" radio button and see what her estimated A1C is based on her meter average:

http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx

Danielle was older when dx so I think talking to parents here of 3 year olds will be helpful to you. There are a lot of issues, eating habits, not knowing how much she is going to eat at any given meal, etc.

You are in the very early days, take things one step at a time, cut yourself some slack, and you will be fine.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Wow! You are really trying to tackle a lot so early after diagnosis. Things get easier and very soon you will get a comfort level when counting carbs. In the beginning, we used the 100 calorie snacks because most of them were around 15-20 carbs. Take a deep breath, think about what your little one ate prior to diagnosis and work it into your meal plan. In the beginning, a 15 carb uncovered snack in the morning and afternoon was part of our plan, too. When I look at our old log books, Ab's numbers were all over the place with frequent 300-400. Life will settle down and you will gain confidence. What really helped me in the early days was studying the Calorie King book and going to my local supermarket alone and reading many, many nutrition panels. Buy several sets of measuring cups and a good digital scale, lots of ziplock baggies to make your own 15 carb snacks.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Do you feel now, looking back, that those uncovered snacks could have contributed to the 300-400 numbers you were seeing?

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

That's a good question, I understand why you asked. Ab started a really strong honeymoon a couple of weeks after diagnosis and the snacks really helped to prevent many lows, plus they provided needed calories to replace some of the weight loss prior to diagnosis. The high numbers evened out several weeks after diagnosis. Those first weeks were scary for me trying to figure out the "new normal."

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Not sure if these were shared yet

I found a website and a downloadable program that I LOVE shortly after Niko was diagnosed. First, nutritiondata.com has had a lot of things we can't find in Calorie King, or gave us better carb info. The second, WeightByDate is a downloadable software program for $20 that let's us count carbs, keep a food diary, and they're coming out w/ an add on that will let her enter or port in BG values and what finger she stuck for bg. We love it. I'm a baker too, so I've been able to enter my recipes, number of servings, and get an accurate carb count for foods she loves. It's made it so easy for us to figure out a reasonable portion that doesn't make her go high. HTH!

I forgot to mention, while we don't eat out often, I've found that a lot of places keep updated nutrition info online but not in the restaurant. My daughter and I tend to look online and figure out what she wants to order before we meet up with extended family and friends. That way we already know how much of the order she plans to eat, and the carb total. It's really helped her become aware of protein, fat, and sodium levels in restaurant food, and she doesn't like to eat out as much anymore (unless we can find healthier options.) My dd is 11, so she's into all this, and fair amount of the time we have fun learning together. (We actually play a game while grocery shopping to see who can best guess the number of carbs in different foods. Sometimes we're spot on, and other times the sticker shock is enough to stop us from buying!)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  7. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

We have the Calorie King book (2 of them, actually) and us it ALL THE TIME. Whenever something isn't in the book, we look at the CK website that Christopher linked. We carry one with us all the time. The other stays home.