- advertisement -

In denial

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Meredithsmom, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

As a routine blood work, Meredith tested positive for Celiac. She is asymptomatic so we requested another blood test. The results were the same and we will have GI scope and colonoscopy in a few weeks. I think this is worse that thy T1 diagnosis. Last fall, Meredith told us she was done with shots, because she wanted to be "normal like my friends." We started pumping in May, so she could feel more "normal" (her words) and could have the same snacks as her friends at school this fall. Now, this comes up. I don't think I have the heart to tell her what this diagnosis means. I did call the teacher (Kindergarten) and ask if she would consider having individual snacks instead of group snacks and she agreed. So that's one hurdle out of the way. But Meredith was excited to have school lunch as well. We are in a private school, so I don't know that they will accomodate. I wish I could bury my head in the sand on this diagnosis.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

don't stress yourself out until you have a positive from the endoscopy. Wait till it is confirmed. Celiac is stressful, I won't lie...but it is a lot easier now than when we started two years ago. There are often false positives on the bloodwork from what I have read.

I will pray that your daughter does not have celiac. If she does end up with it, those of us dealing with both can help ease you into it.

hang in there!

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Although the Celiac adds another wrinkle when kids want to feel "normal," there are so many kids in school with food allergies, that having to be GF isn't all that "non-normal" anymore. I just have to preplan for the parties and send stuff along for my son.

I had the same reaction to the possibility of a Celiac dx -- I swear, I mourned that more than I mourned the T1D dx.

Truth is, we've found it not all that bad. A few years prior to the dx, we had shifted our eating habits away from processed and prepared foods, so I'd gotten used to doing all the cooking anyway and had foregone much of the processed foods in the grocery store already. Going GF just meant learning what brands were GF (for mayo, BBQ sauce, etc) and sticking with them.

If you do get the dx, know that there are a lot of great resources out there for you, including this group at CWD!

4. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Our endoscopy is scheduled for Aug.11. I talked with the endo last week about insulin instructions for the procedure and the day before. It is seeming more real now, but I still want to run away from it. Thanks for the support!

5. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

Two of our kids have had endoscopies and they were not too bad. My son is easily motion sick and he had a harder time because he kept throwing up as the anesthesia wore off. He is our CWD and that was the harder part with his blood sugar. My daughter was just fine.

I too had a really hard time with the diagnosis but we've gone on to be very successful with gluten free. This forum has been extremely helpful too.

Best of luck!