- advertisement -

in a restaurant with Morgan

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Oct 12, 2010.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Ditto what everyone else said Holly:)

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I sometimes try to figure out what a person has to cause a situation,(and admire them for being out and enjoying life), it may look like staring, but I'd never ask them to move. I love sitting next to Downs kids/people, for instance, they're such a joy to watch(discreetly of course).
    Like others, I wear my Sensors and infusion sets in my arms, and with short sleeves everyone stares, some ask, and I love it when they do, so I can educate!

And I'm with Chris, we are a biased lot here, and nothing much bother me in public!

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

It would not bother us at all.:cwds:

4. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Wow ... how sad you need to even ask. I cannot imagine anyone without compassion towards a child. I would be more embarressed if MY children were looking at you wondering what was wrong. Anyone who would judge you ... well they must be so horrible who cares what they think.

Go out .. eat and enjoy!! :D

Crystal

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

It wouldn't bother me one bit.
    Then again, all of us on this board have kids with special medical needs, although not to the same extent of Morgans.

I'm so sorry people are so rude!! They truly have no idea what its like in another one's shoes.

6. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

If I ever saw you and Morgan at a restaurant I'd be pretty dang excited.:) I've often thought that I would really like to meet you guys, especially since you are in the very next state. It would be an honor just to be in the same room as you and Morgan.

Oh, but I would stare. But only because I know who you guys are and it would be a very special event in my life. I would want to take it all in! :cwds:

7. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

If I saw you and Morgan in a restaurant, would I stare? YES!!! Because in the back of my mind I would be having this conversation with myself: I know them...where do I know them from....is it church?....no not church....is it the grocery store?.....no not the grocery.....is it the library?.....no not the library.....and then when the lightbulb finally turns on, you would actually see it in my eyes, they actually get brighter.

Seriously I wouldn't waste one second worrying about any one else. (((((HUGS)))))

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

Let me preface this by saying that I would not and never do have a problem with people with special needs eating or communicating in their own way (my nephew has special needs and uses a feeding tube. He can get pretty loud when he's really happy or mad :D)

My brother, however, who is one of the sweetest, most kind-hearted individuals on Earth cannot stand to watch most well mannered, neat adults eat. He is very easily grossed out by a lot of things (loud chewing, knife scaping, suttle slurping, etc.).

He cannot eat at the same table as infants and toddlers who often spit food then eat it again. Think toddler with a cracker...it goes in..it comes out..it gets examined...it goes in again..somes out mushier... YOu get the picture. For the rest of us he tries VERY hard not to let his own idiocyncrises upset a normal dinner.

He may move tables simply because it makes it impossible for him to eat. He would be SO embarrassed and ashamed if anyone ever took offense to his actions. He would rather sit through a meal feeling uncomfortable and unable to eat than upset anyone.

He would however give you a smile and a nod so that you would know he wasn't trying to be rude as opposed to a sneer. ;)

9. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I cannot believe people would actually request to change tables. That disgusts me. If I saw you in a restaurant, I would smile at you and go back to eating my food.

10. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Holly,
    It would not bother me one single bit. I would find it a loving gesture that you and your entire family went out and enjoyed dinner.

If anyone said or did anything they have HUGE problems.

11. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

I would not be offended by sitting next to your family nor would I even contemplate asking for a different table. I would smile and make it a point to say hello to make sure that you knew we were definitely ok with it.
    Wow, our world is so short on compassion and just plain good manners these days.

12. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I think this means that we need a giant CWD dinner!!

13. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I would be that annoying guy that would stop and talk to him. Obviously, Morgan would be welcome at my table anytime.

14. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Holly, not only would it not bother me but I hope we can go out to diner sometime. We live so close we should meet at Starbucks again sometime as well.

15. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I would be delighted to have you sit next to me or even with us. On the other hand you might be the one asking to move because my kids can get very loud in a reastraunt (we don't go that often because of this).
    I would be the one asking if I can help so that you may have time to "take a break" and have Morgan join us at our table.
    This way they can all be loud together. Maybe he can teach my kids some manners.

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Holly, no I won't. Hey, at least Morgan has an excuse... ;)

I feel for your brother. Not that I'm like that...but I know how it can be upsetting for people with this kind of idiosyncrasy. But this is very different from downright rude people.

I worked with kids with special needs (mostly with autism and Down's Syndrome) in the Philippines. I just felt like socking some people to get them to stop staring whenever we took the kids out. Okay, sometimes I felt like educating them. Anyway...

17. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

my family and I would have no problems what so ever. It is sad that you have had people do so. Im with mapoe4 on this... my three kids, honostly, its like they somedays have absolutely no table manners. So excuse the straw paper that flys to your table and lands in your soup. We tip very well to compensate the wait staff ;)

18. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Ditto! I might even engage in a simple conversation, "How are you tonight?" or "I love that shirt." to further ease your presence. Anything possible to send you the message that I am totally comfortable and encouraged by your family's presence.

19. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

It wouldn't bother me any more than the toddler behind me looking over the seat. Not a big deal. :)

20. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Unfortunately it's not a new thing. People could be just as rude when I was a child accompanying my disabled brother and deaf sister. The remarks and stares were as rude then as now.

This would be me, I'd want to make Morgan feel as special as he is. :)