- advertisement -

Important information about the swine flu vaccine

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pammers, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

Please take some time in your busy day to research the facts about the vaccine as well as the history of vaccinations and how Big Pharma profits from our illness. We all know how badly they want to make us well!

Here is a presentation that was made to a local school board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1KcdjEIWQ

I urge you all to get out there and have your voices heard. The WHO has issued an order for all member states to vaccinate their entire population. Many European nations have already announced their intention to do so, without exception. The US is a member state and will eventually follow suit. The time to speak up is now.

2. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

3. Toni

Toni Banned

Erin has always gotten yearly flu shots. Sis said some of the risks mentioned pertaining to swine flu shot pertains to all flu shots. Swine flu has not been as dangerous here in the U.S. so far, but virus could mutate. You have to weigh the risk of a Type 1 child coming down with swine flue vs. risk of vaccine. Sis insists on the flu shot. She is an R.N. as well. So far we have had no problems with any of the flu shots so it is a no-brainer for us. Of course if your child has a reaction to the prior flu shots, that would be a different story. I jsut think there is more risk not getting it.

4. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

5. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

If the virus mutates the vaccine could be rendered ineffective against that strain - the same way the last few years of the regular flu shot have been essentially useless against the common flu because the strains didn't match up with the strains used in the vaccine.
    The thing is unfortunately we don't have enough information about the vaccine or the H1N1 strain to assess what the risks really are.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

you got me...what does it really mean? can we trust them?

I am on the fence here too.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

The video in the link does not in my view present "important information about the swine flu vaccine", it is a somewhat emotional and utterly one-sided and distorted presentation of reasons the presenter is not in favour of vaccination.

The H1N1 virus is a flu virus, and at a minimum is as hard on someone who gets it as normal flu - and in some cases much harder.. There have been lots of severe outcomes including fatalities, and too many of these have been children.

We vaccinate for the flu every year, with no ill effects. We prefer the slight risk that comes with vaccinating to the much higher risk (as we see it) that would come with our daughter getting the flu.

By all means let's have a discussion about pros and cons of vaccinating for the H1N1 virus, but let's please try to stick to facts and solid references.. :cwds:

8. alongoria

alongoria Approved members

I have been on the fence about the vaccine since it has first been talked about. Something that made me feel good is that on the news they said this vaccine is made the same way that regular flu vaccines are made. They also said had they known sooner it could have been in with the regular flu vaccine for this year. I also realized that flu vaccines are changed a lot to try to cover the strain that is prevalent in the recent past, if I am not mistaken.

This pushed me a little farther to the "yes get the vaccine" side of the issue, but I am still not completely sold.

Autumn

9. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

VERY VERY interesting...thanks for posting this!:)

10. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

My 15 yo daughter is refusing to get ANY flu shot this year. The flu shot hasn't matched the virus for the last two years, and last year's shot made her sick for a month. Fortunately we live in a remote area and we homeschool, so we have more control over potential exposure than some do. (Actually I don't think that any of us have ever had the flu since dh and I were married 19 years ago.)

Deborah

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  11. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

We were against it, but that was when I thought that they were going to add adjuvants AND before I talked to the endo.
    It is now my understanding that there will be no adjuvants added and that it is made exactly like the seasonal flu vaccine, which we get every year.
    Our endo. expressed to us that the flu could cause a severe case of DKA that might not even be able to be controlled in the hospital. Her words were "you are worried about the POSSIBILITY of rare side effects of a vaccine when we KNOW he has Diabetes and DKA is a definite possibility." That pretty much made the decision for me.

12. Jessies_Mom

Jessies_Mom Approved members

Your Endo makes a great point.

13. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

Our physician highly suggested we not get the Swine Flu shot. He did however, strongly recommend the reg. flu shot! He did specify, but was very persuasive about.

14. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I talked to our ped about the H1N1 shot at my son's well child visit on Monday. She said that all three of our boys absolutely need the shot. She reminded me that of course any time your immune system is triggered there is risk, but that the swine flu vaccine is no riskier than any other yearly flu shot. She said it is not at all like the 1976 swine flu vaccine. She said it is exactly the same carrier as the annual flu shot, just a different strain (Just as KyleBugsMom pointed out.) She said it was able to move through the FDA so quickly because it is already an approved vaccine and only had to go through the process the annual vaccine does when they change the strains each year.

On a side note, we live in Rochester, NY... one of the big H1N1 vaccine testing sites, the H1N1 vaccine progress is on the local news almost every day and I haven't heard of anybody having problems with it so far.

15. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Cole just got the regular flu shot yesterday with no adverse affects (effects? lol). Anyway, he is getting the H1N1 shot when it becomes available.

16. Toni

Toni Banned

This is true. I know there have been studies in Britain about thimerisol triggering autism (which studies here disprove but who knows?). I think it would be wise to spread out all childhood vaccines and not give as many vaccines as they give at one time. And it is also true that if the virus mutates you will need another vaccine. But I wonder if -- even though the swine flu virus may mutate to a much stronger form -- there will still be SOME protection from the vaccine we will soon have.

You have to weigh the risks of a reaction from the vaccine to risks of not getting the vaccine and coming down with swine flu. We have never had a problem with any flu shot and she's been getting them since diagnosis. She will get vaccinated for regular flu as she does every year and swine flu (as soon as we can get the swine flu vaccine). IMO that swine flu vaccine cannot get here fast enough!

17. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I read yesterday that thimerisol is only used if needing multiple shots of the vaccine. They are saying that only 1 shot is needed (in most cases) so thimerisol is not used in 1 shot dose. If you need 2 shots, then most likely thimerisol is added as a preservative.

The H1N1 is already hitting hard here in Minnesota--especially in schools. I wish we were a vaccine testing area! I think unfortunately by the time the vaccine is available here, H1N1 will have already peaked!

18. Toni

Toni Banned

Well said. And DKA is not the only definite possibility. Influenza (period around WWI, don't have exact dates, but you all know the one I am talking about) wiped out thousands. The only reason some can get away with not vaccinating their children for polio, etc. is that most of the general population has been vaccinated against disease. So those who have adverse reactions to the vaccines are probably safe not getting them. The risk of actually contracting swine flu can be great, because this time, the vaccine is being saved for those at high risk and the general population will not be vaccinated. Type 1 children are in the high risk group. You have to carefully weigh the risks.