advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implanted cgm?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by quiltinmom, Oct 6, 2015.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I was recently told that there was a study done back in the mid 90's for an implanted cgm. The story was, it worked really well, but the company decided there wasn't enough money in it, compared to cgm we use now and test strips, etc. so they discontinued the pursuit.

Has anyone heard of this? I saw the person who told the story, and while I didn't see the scar from the implant (which had of course been removed), someone else I talked to saw it. So I believe it really happened.

My question is about the reason for stopping the study. While I am not naive, it's hard to think that such a great solution would be halted purely for profits. I just keep thinking, surely someone out there could find a way to make it financially feasible. There must be more to this story.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This company is developing a fully implanted CGM that will supposedly last over 1 year.

http://glysens.com/

3. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

If you get a scar every 1-2 years, what would your skin look like after 20 years ? 10-20 scars ? I'm assuming they can't reuse implant sites due to scarring.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

This may not be the case; the long-lasting sensor might be able to be placed nearby through the original incision. Or scar tissue might be able to be resected/removed. Or some people may not develop scar tissue surrounding the implant after one year. I suspect a lot has to do with how easily each individual scars. I know that some people that "overuse" sites don't develop any lipoatrophy/liopdystrophy, while others that rotate "religiously" do develop these problems. My daughter has had several extensive orthopedic surgeries and her surgeon has "reused" the same places where the initial incisions were made whenever possible to minimize her scarring.

Besides, lipoatrophy/dystrophy has a lot more to do with repeated injections of insulin (either via syringe or canula) as opposed to the instrumentation itself. That's why I worry less about running out of "real estate" for my daughter's Dexcom sensors and only use the backs of her upper arms for these.

Thanks for the link, Christopher!