- advertisement -

I'm tired of people who think they know and don't....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nevaeh's mommy, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

I am so angry right now a lady from a local business I asked to donate to our JDRF walk team had the nerve to write my 5 year old daughter a letter telling her to cure herself!!!! She says she has a Holistic Doctor that cured his son in 3 months time! I told her that type 1 diabetes is where a person's body no longer produces insulin and that there is currently no cure! She said that is what the doctors tell you. Then she argues and says you really won't even try it! Like I don't want my daughter to be cured!!! But if this is true EVERYONE would have their child or loved one in a holistic doctor's office TODAY!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :mad: :( :eek:

Has anyone else heard of this before???

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Unfortunately, you will meet some people who have distorted views about Type 1 diabetes. You really have 2 choices. You can try to educate them on the realities of the disease, or you can just smile and walk away.

It usually is pretty clear which people are open to learning and which are not. I would say this woman is in the latter category.

As more time passes, you will probably find yourself getting less upset by the type of person you encountered. Life is way too short and they are not worth your time or emotion.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I'm just wondering why you even called or went to see her after you got a letter like that.

4. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

I've been told accupuncture could cure her.

I've been asked why we still have to count carbs now that we have a pump.

I've been asked why we test her blood sugar so much.

People are so stupid. They ask these questions to question my motives, not in the spirit of trying to learn. I'm tired of educating them. Let them stay stupid.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I know, this is the one that gets me the most.. lets see... I won't try it because I don't want to either end up in the hospital, or threaten my future health, thank you very much. It's not a matter of not wanting a "cure" - it's the sad reality that everyone who claims they can cure you has no clue what they're talking about.

People who don't understand T1 just don't get that it takes constant care... it's not something you can just decide to take a break from for a day without getting into serious trouble.

6. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Yeah I have had a friend tell me if I gave Taylor a pancreatic formula I could get her off her insulin.

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

Unfortunately people like this exist everywhere and they seem to just become more ignorant as time passes.

You can try coming up with witty responses, walk away, and always come to us, the people who do get it, and vent.

Sorry this person was being so stupid, though.

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

Did you ask her if there was a cure for ignorance?

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

My neighbor just told me that my DD must be outgrowing T1 since her A1C was so low. HELLO it is low because she is in a honeymoon period and the teen years have not yet arrived to cause crazy BG #s. I politely told her that as "the mom" I think I would know if you could "out grow" t1 and or be cured. In those situations I think it is best just to bite your tongue and move on. It is just not worth the frustration to explain to someone who just doesn't get it. Let's face it we need all the energy to fight the ugly D beast instead of wasting it on stupid people! just my 2 cent rant. :cwds:

10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

She wrote a letter to a 5 year old telling her she could cure herself? To someone else's child? Is she mad? She obviously has no common sense - and I'd be careful to keep my child far away from this woman at all times.

Sadly there are people in this world who may see themselves as "helpful" who are so out of touch with reality that they are toxic to others.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I had an old family friend tell me on Facebook that her daughter (who is a doctor) has a friend who's son was "cured" :rolleyes: (not by her daughter, but some other doctor.) This is a highly educated, very intelligent woman (or so I thought ;)). When I told her there was no cure for T1 she was adamant that this child did have T1 and she would find out the name of the doctor. Many people came to my defense, trying to explain what T1 is but she just wouldn't listen. That's where the block feature comes in very handy!

To the OP, unfortunately this won't be the last person to tell you they can "cure" your child. I do my best to ignore them but I know sometimes it's frustrating and you just want to SCREAM! :cwds:

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Some people truly are just trying to help. And most people don't have the intimate knowledge of diabetes that we do. So before Danielle was dx, if I had a friend who had a child with diabetes, and I heard that there was some incredible cure, I would probably tell my friend about it.

So I guess my point is, I try to not be rude to people who come across as ignorant. I either try to educate them or if I see that they cannot be educated, I walk away.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. Sari

Sari Approved members

I had a mom at the bus stop say to me that she and some friends were talking about Ross one day and that a Reiki master could cure him. I wanted to say "you mean like he cured your entire family of Celiac disease!" I mean if they aren't going to try it then why should they be telling me to.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I agree. I think that most people truly want to help...or at least have something to say. The only time I would be offended is, if I would point out the facts of T1, and an ignorant person (I use the word only to mean not educated on the facts) continues to insist that they know more. If a person, once told the facts by someone who lives them every day, cannot accept that they may be wrong...well, it's definitely time to walk away. I might be tempted to say something like "Gee...I can't believe I haven't seen that on the news...a cure for Type 1 is a huge deal! You should really contact the media.":rolleyes: (But I probably wouldn't.)

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My comment to people like that is "Your stupidity can never be cured unfortunately" and then I walk away!
    I've heard it so often, I can't resist anymore! :D:D

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Smile and walk away. Sometimes some people are so convinced they have the "truth" that you just cannot "educate" them, no matter how hard you try. If you ever cross her path again, keep going. Not worth your time, IMO.

17. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I think I would type and copy a letter stating while you appreciate the concern for the welfare of said child it is inappropriate and no longer welcome for the business owner to contact a minor child with medical advice.

JMHO

18. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Yep. Sometimes, I think if one more person gives me a "You can reverse diabetes" book while they swear up and down it works...I may hit'em.

Of course when type 1 first hits, you are determined that you can fix it and try all kinds of stuff. I tried all kinds of vitamins and supplements, a friend of mine whose daughter was diagnosed went to an Amish natural healer, who gave them some mixture of something with sunflower seed oil.

If any of this worked...we would all spread the word and join in in 7 seconds flat.

19. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

I was quoted in an article recently about type 1 and a nice older woman from GA tracked me down and called me, she was so sweet and said " I just had to reach out and help you and your son," and went on to tell me the secret cure...WATER. So all we need to do is have our kids drink more water and their pancreases will start functioning again.
    Ive never been a particularly patient person, but I rather attempt to educate, and even if only a handful of these well meaning people actually learn something, its one more person who has some understanding of what type 1 really is.

20. sooz

sooz Approved members

Water. Hmmmm, why didn't we think of that? Will have to gve it a try lol. ;)