- advertisement -

I'm so sad

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Bsbllmom, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

When I picked Christian up from school today he said that he started freaking out about the MRI Monday. I asked him why and he said that he is afraid that they are going to find a tumor or something.:(

Now down deep inside I know that is what she is looking for but no one has ever voiced that not even privately. So how do I even begin to tell him that everything is going to be ok when every time I go to tell him I get this huge lump in my throat. I know it will be ok but I am still really scared. I feel like I am putting up that front again that everything is ok and then I turn around and ball my eyes out in the bathroom.

She said that there isn't anything noticeably wrong but just wants th MRI just in case. I think I just need to calm myself down and chill.

2. Noel

Noel Approved members

Cheryl,

If you don't mind me asking what happened? I mean was he having symptoms that are making them concerned?

I so apologize if I missed the post that described this before, or if you don't want to tell me that is ok too.

I'm sorry that you are going through this, of course you will be in my prayers!

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Will pray that everything will turn out just fine for Christian.

4. Bsbllmom

Well pre dx he would have these really bad headaches. Then he would get really bad stomach aches during the time that he had the headache. Then it seemed like after dx they went away for around 8 months or maybe a little longer. They started again and now they are more frequent and he has been throwing up when he gets them.

I took him to the dr and she checked his reflexes and tested his strength, I guess, by having press against her hands with his hands, arms, legs and feet. She looked in his eyes for a long time and said that she wanted him to have an MRI of his brain. She said everything seemed ok but she just wants to make sure.

He goes in on Monday. Oh and she said that he doesn't have the aura of migraines but the severity of them are like migraines.

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I'm sorry you and Christian are having to go through the worrying that goes along with these types of tests. Waiting IS the worst, no doubt about it. Just try to keep in mind that whatever is, is, or isn't....tests do not change it.

Distractions are good until you get results. Keep busy this weekend and do something FUN!!:) I promise, it works. We went to Sea World while waiting for Reese's biopsy results...which were not good. But we enjoyed every minute of it and it helped to keep us focused on better things.

I will say a prayer, and I have a good feeling that everything will be ok.

6. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

i agree find something distracting and fun for him untill then ...i know this is hard we went through this but dd was much younger (5) and the actual mri was very tramatic for her and she wouldnt let them do it so they ended up having to reschedule it at another place so that she could be sedated ..everything was fine it was just migranes (this was pre d dx) and since we have found out that they seem to come when her sugar is out of range and especially when it is hot ...i think i explained to her that they just wanted to get pictures to see what they could do to make her feel better no big deal ..just kept it short and simple ..sometimes the more info they have the more they worry ...and im sure its harder with an older child who already knows more ..if i was you i might see if they could give him anything to relax him some before he goes not nececarally sedation ...good luck i hope everything goes well and it is nothing

7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Jordan and I both had to have an MRI to rule out any brain abnormalities with a migraine dx. It really is standard procedure. Doctors don't want to be medicating and missing something big they should have caught early. But it is very very rare for it to be anything other than a headache. And onset of migraine is common during the teen years.

It is hard for any of us here to feel safe with a medical test looming. We don't have that naive feeling of nothing bad being able to happen because it has and we feel it everyday. Our kids don't feel invincible either. Its a real shame. Give him extra hugs and try not to worry.

8. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Cheryl I missed something too. I am sorry that your family has to go through this. Thinking and praying for a good outcome. Hugs for you and Christian!!

9. bisous

bisous Approved members

Oh gosh, hugs! I like the idea of a fun distraction and also reassuring that it is a standard procedure! I know it is hard but stay strong Mama! Make it an act that you just put on in front of your child. Then come here and dish and we'll build you up!

10. Bsbllmom

Thanks everyone, I knew that you guys would understand.:cwds: We are actually going to the zoo on Sunday with JDRF. So that will be good. We are also going to Disneyland tonight for my DH's bday. Hopefully that helps a little.

Thanks for all the well wishes, prayers and hugs. I don't think there will be anything wrong it is just not knowing. But I think I have said that before.:(

11. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Cheryl, I am sorry your family is going through this. Sending prayers! I love that you Mommy gut says it will be ok. That is a great sign!

I hope you can have a good weekend.

12. Charlene

Charlene Approved members

I think I would be honest with him just in case. I would tell him that they could find something but "we should hope and pray for the best". And that "we fight diabetes every day and we can fight a tumor as well if that was to happen but really they are just ruleing anything major out so they can treat his migranes. It is better to catch serious things early so its good to do the testing just in case." You are both strong and he is a very mature little boy and I think a honest conversation will help him to cope better. OUr children have more knowledge of the medical world so its harder to do things secretly to sheild them from the scarry parts of it. I will be praying for you both. Try to stay calm and not worry too much as it can go either way.

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hugs Cheryl. I'm so sorry you're all dealing with this.

14. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I know very well how scary it is; Alison was diagnosed with a brain tumor when she was a baby. From the very beginning I was so thankful that she was so young; she wouldn't remember any of it. To be 13 and worrying about it must be so hard for him.

I don't know if this will help, but I think most people think of cancer when they think of brain tumors, but there are also benign ones that still cause symptoms (Alison's was benign). They can take them out and require no further treatment.

Even so, I will be hoping and praying that the MRI shows nothing.

15. Eve

Eve Approved members

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope it turns out to be nothing. ((hugs))

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Prayers going to you and Christian and your family. :cwds:

17. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Prayers to you all. It is maddening not knowing. Our best friend's daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor a 2 months before zoe had her MRI. The terror I felt was suffocating. Now after 7 months of no answers, I'm ready for them to find something, so we know how to help her. I pray that your son will be healed and the doctors will find the way to do this. I pray for you to be a strong mom and hold yourself together just long enough to hold him together. I pray for peace and answers.

18. Bsbllmom

Thank you for your prayers. I keep thinking that I don't have anything to worry about and I am making a bigger deal of it than what it is but I am still worried. Does that make sense?

Well he had another headache tonight. He said he felt a little low and he was 60 so I gave him some juice and he drank it. I went out to walk the dog and when I came back he said that he needed his migraine medicine. So we used it. He said that his head is still hurting and he feels a little nauseous. It is not the really strong headache but it still hurts really bad.:(

19. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm sorry Christian is going through this Cheryl. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. :cwds:
    I'm sure stress doesn't help a headache- I hope he has a fun weekend and you can take your minds off it.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Sorry Cheryl, I hope he feels better soon:(