- advertisement -

im new and i have a problem

Discussion in 'Teens' started by JordynS, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JordynS

JordynS Approved members

hi!! my name is Jordyn and i am 12 almost 13. i was diagnosed in january of 2005. I live in ohio and i am is 7th grade. there are 6 people in my school with diabetes (including me). there is 3 girls (not including me) that i absolutely would die without at my school. i love having them around, but i know what it is like not to have anyone. even though i have my great friends, i still feel alone. i sometimes dont check mi blood, and make up numbers. in fact over the summer i was admitted in to hospiatle 2 for dka's. it really stinks and my parents know. my mom ususlly finds out and i get in trouble. but i know she does it because she loves me and she wants me to be around, even when she is not. after the second dka i started going to a psychologist, who has diabetes her self and she understood what i was going trough and i liked that but it didnt help with my diabetes a lot. she did understand what i was going trough, but it wasnt enough for me and i have stated skipping blood checks. i feel really gulty, but sometimes... i dont know. i hope this helps and that i am done. my mom and i made a name. when i start to skip... i start hanging out with charlie. thats what we call it. and i am looking for more friends, and if you have any tips for me i would love nothing more then to here them. thanks so much!
    *-Jordyn-*

2. pumpgirl7999

pumpgirl7999 New Member

I understand....

Hi!! My name is Lauren and I am 15. I have had diabetes for 13 years now. I can TOTALLY relate to what your going through right now. One night my pump alramed telling me that I needed more insulin but I was so agravated that I just ignored it. And what do ya know... I wake up and I am on my way to the hospital. It totally sucked. My mom started taking me to a Psycyatrist just recently. And the lady told me that ignoring it wont help...that is true. Your mom does love you, i'm sure of it. And even though I dont personly know you I'm gonna tell you as a friend that making up your blood sugars is a)lying, and your parents could find out just by looking at the moniter and b)not safe. If you dont check your blood sugar how do you know if you are high or low? Don't do that ok? I just want you to be safe. I promise you that doing that wont make you feel any better. I have gone through that already. So, after saying all that...would you like to be pen pals? I would love a friend that has diabetes to realte to! I have e-mail and AIM. My e-mail is pumpgirl2010@hotmail.com. And my AIM is emolisious15. Hope everything gets better! And hope to talk to ya soon!

Sincerley,
    Lauren Miller:cwds:

3. Nikki FM

Nikki FM New Member

Yeah...

Yeah, ignoring your diabetes isn't going to help, except make yourself more angry when your bg gets super bad. I test, my mom has told all about the diabetes complications you get when you're older when you don't take care of your sugars. *shudders*. Yes, I would telll you my name and age but, there are too many creepy people out there, and one could easily look at my post and yeah. I'm careful about that. Have you been to any diabetes camps? If you haven't you should. So funny, at the end of camp the ground is always littered with test strips.

4. JordynS

JordynS Approved members

that he;ps soo much!!

thanks so much!!! i know what i am doing is wrong... but it is kindof like an addiction. i am working on a better way of life... and so far it is working. and lauren i would love to be a pen pal!! my e-mail address is tinkerello731@yahoo.com and my screenname is tinkerello731
    ohh and for anyone who reads this feel free to talk to me here or at the below listed addresses!! thakns so much!
    -Jordyn-

5. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Addiction - Totally. Been there. Done that. Still there. It started for me when I was 14, right after I was diagnosed. And hasn't stopped since then, and now i'm 19. Done the whole psychologist thing. Acutally all the mess and addiction landed me in the psych ward for a week. It's totally worth it to NOT keep on with this. It's not good and healthy for us at all. ...just like everyone else has said.

6. sa.rahbee

sa.rahbee Approved members

motivation

hey.
    my name is sarah, and i'm 14. im actually kindof having that problem right now too. i live in canada, and there's this place that i go every 3 months. i have the habit of not testing very often,, but i would still test at least once a day. but i am going to go on a pump, and so i have to test more. the people at the clinic say that i can't go on a pump unless i show that i test more, so its a real motivation to have that going for me. you should have some sortof motivation too, like having a favourite cookie, or renting a movie or something everytime you test. i thought about doing that, but then decided that i would probably end up eating too many cookies. but i hope that this helps you. bye!

7. TrackFreak022

TrackFreak022 New Member

hi im 15 and i went/am going through the same thing. im doing alittle beter but from about age 13 to about a half year ago i didnt test at all. maybe one here or there but not usally. i would go to the endo and get chewed out so id start to test for like 2 days then stop again. i had 4 dka's i think and that made me wake up alittle but i just couldnt keep going. i knew i should and i wanted to be in control but i just couldnt. so im not going to tell you you should test more often or take more insulin cause that always made me mad when people told me, but if you want anyone to talk to about it or just to talk my sn is FoulKing022 good luck.

8. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Oh, you guys. I am so nervous that my twelve year old will start on this path. I know that us mom's are complete nags but we want you to lead a long happy and healthy life. I know that it is so easy to pretend that you don't need to do certain things to stay healthy and that you are just like everyone else, it probably feels like it's not there if you ignore it but it is so not worth the price that you pay.

Each and every one of you is so important. As a mother I watch alot of kids growing and learning. I have a fifteen year old as well non d. It's so hard to find your place at your age. I remember.

After my son was diagnosed I started to notice that all of the kids with D or some other chronic disease were so amazing. They had alot more to contend with in life this is true but I honestly believe in some strange way that all of you are blessed with wonderful gifts beyond what most of us will ever know. I know that this must sound like a rediculous thing for me to say but most of you were probably rushed to emergency like my son was when diagnosed and miraculously survived. I have become a better person watching my son deal with this disease. I still have alot to learn from him as I do from all of you.

All of you have so much to offer to others around you. You just haven't found your purpose yet. You will be leaders, you will be mother's, you will be fathers, you will be whatever you choose to be, you may be the one that finds a cure. One thing is for certain, no matter how relentless this disease is, it is not insurmountable. It will teach you things you would have never learned otherwise. You will use what you know to touch those around you.

Give your body a chance to be healthy so that you can be around to accomplish all that you were meant too. Take control of this beast so that you are in charge and it does not guide you or determine your destiny.

Maybe I shouldn't have piped in, but I wanted you to know that I care enough about you to remind you how wonderful you all are.

Tami

9. ash_ley

ash_ley Approved members

just replying.

Hi, my name is Ashley. I have had diabetes for five years now. I haven't really gone through any of this, but sometimes I feel like not checking myself. Honestly, I've done that twice. I regret doing that 'cause the entire day I was worried about my glucose and I felt awkward. I know, why didn't you just check it then? It is very good to test yourself whenever you feel weird or have any headaches...or at anytime you need to. It's very IMPORTANT! Well, I hope that you guys continue to take care of yourselves because it wouldn't be nice to spend time in a hospital, right? So TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF:D

10. Kristen

Kristen Approved members

Im going through a different problem but still a life thretening one.. I cannot stop taking food from my friends and I know it kills me but i cannt

11. Kristen

Kristen Approved members

Okay. I test regularly its just the food i trip up on.

12. divabetic429

divabetic429 Approved members

Hey, I'm 13 years old and I know diabetes is hard sometimes. But making up blood sugar readings, and ignoring the disease isn't going to make it go away. Your mom can't do it for you, you have to want it for yourself, to be a healthy and happy teenager with diabetes. I believe in ya!

13. ash_ley

ash_ley Approved members

okay, just message me so we can chat:cwds:

14. snowkitten

snowkitten New Member

I have the same problem.

:( I don't test nearly as much as I'm supposed too. I've had diabetes for 5 years now, and still have not switched to a pump. I want to, but my doctor won't let me until I get a better A1C level. (Last time I got an A1C of 12.3!! :eek: ) Yeah, I know. I almost died in the hospital one time. (last summer) My parents were in London, and I was home with just my siblings. My bloodsugar got up to 800 and I was rushed to the hospital. I threw up alot, and the doctors hooked me up to lots of weird machines. Anyways, I wish to get better at this stupid diabetes thing, but it's just SO HARD to deal with. :( Isn't there any way to make it easier?? :confused:

15. fabjen99

fabjen99 Approved members

Hi guys,
    Well I was just on the other end of this scenario... my daughter is 12 and was doing all the things you talk about. Not checking, not bolusing, giving me fake numbers etc... I was constantly yelling at her, grounding her etc.. I was fighting with her non-stop, she was disrupting the whole house. I was told that I should stop grounding her, and yelling and just help her. I started having her go to the offfice to check her bs - she has to physically show the nurse her checker... but, I have to tell you - its working! I think sometimes as parents, we give you to much lead way and let you hurt yourself. She thanked me for sending her to the office...our family time is much more pleasant. good luck