- advertisement -

I'm just so freaking excited

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, Apr 24, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

that my daughter and I will be attending her "pre-pump" appointment next Wednesday! The whole "pre-pump" verbiage had me concerned at first because I didn't want a "this is what an insulin pump is, this is what it does and doesn't do, etc." lecture because we SO want to begin pumping and CGMing that it hurts and I couldn't bear the thought of waiting another 6 to 8 weeks to move ahead. So I spoke assertively with our peds endo and she gave me her word that she would do her end of the paperwork that day (I've done the rest, including insurance approval, what seems like ages ago.). I know there's a lot to be said for trying out the five pump options, but we have decided on the Omnipod. Going tubeless was a deal-maker for my daughter and she will not even consider another pump at this point in time. She spends an inordinate amount of time in the water during the summer, and one of the only two other kids with T1D in her school uses the Pod successfully. I had some serious doubts about the Pod after reading quite a few posts and watching several YouTube videos posted by people who had limited to no success using the Pod, but then I communicated with many other happy Pod people. We've also chosen the Dexcom CGM. (That decision was a no-brainer IMO). I've read Think Like a Pancreas and Pumping Insulin, I have one patient who uses a pump, and I've treated a handful of patients with T1D during my 22 years of being a physician (although these were adult inpatients, which I realize are a far cry from a child like mine who is honeymooning and appears to be on the verge of puberty). So I feel like I'm as ready as I can get at this point in time...

I just can't get over how derned excited I am. I don't think I'd be this excited about getting a brand-new Jaguar (like that's ever going to happen). I believe the other 2 docs with whom I work and our office manager must think I'm manic and/or using pharmaceuticals recreationally because I have been downright giddy the past few days. No one I personally know "gets it", so I figured I'd post here before I pop.

2. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

I totally get it! My 8 yr old son has been on a pump for a year and LOVES it! He says he will never do shots again :) Good luck, its awesome to see your kid be a "normal" kid again as my son says!

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's fantastic! It won't be long now!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am so glad for you! pumping is so different and even with the learning curve challenges of trouble shooting I am positive you will have the expanded freedom that you need with a prepubescent girly.

I would strongly though suggest that you consider getting a tubed pump first and then do the "cut the cord" program with Insulet. You could never even strat the tubed pump and just start the POD, but at least you have a covered in warrantee pump to fall back on immediately if your kiddo does has podding issues.

If you start out on the POD and have issues you will need to fight for approval for the same insurance to cover a different pump, some have been successful and others have not. And when an insurance company does not want to pay for another pump it will be at least $3000k oop but most likely more.

The way cut the cord works is you tell them the serial number of the tubed pump you have and when it was purchased and you pay oop and not thru insurance $200 and you receive the PDM/remote. then the PODs are just ordered just like infusion sets. You can can order infusion sets and pods at the same time just like you can fill vials and pens of the same insulin at the same time.

SO, when you are in that class keep that in mind.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Cut the Cord might be a good option, but I do want to offer some reassurances from a reformed Omnipod doubter. We had two very rocky periods with incredibly frequent pod failures in 2013. I was ready to throw in the towel at a couple of points and switch pumps. BUT things have improved dramatically in the last 5 or 6 months. First, we identified a bad lot number that was responsible for many of our woes, and Insulet agreed to swap them out. Also, I think the new smaller pods are just a better functioning product (and they fit better on small bodies), so some of the posts that are more than a year old don't ring as true to me anymore.

I used to have the OP customer service number memorized, but I can't remember the last time we had a bad pod. If you do run into any snags, you know where to post! Good luck!!

p.s. Also, one other piece of advice, when you fill your first order for Freestyle strips, be sure to check the expiration date and read up on the Abbott recall. At least as of mid-March, some of the national pharmacies were still stocking recalled strips that read too low in the Omnipod meter.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You will love the ability to temp basal and monitor by CGM if your daughter is entering puberty. It will still be rough, but not like MDI would be.

7. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Congrats on getting started with pumping, I remember back when we first started pumping and how exciting it was. I don't know anything about the Omnipod, I know there are lots of people who like and lots who don't but that will ring true with any pump out there, you just have to figure out which one is best and works for your kiddo! Good luck!

8. rgcainmd

Thank you so much for this excellent suggestion! I am definitely going to do this. We'll probably go with the T-Slim, which would be my first choice for a tubed pump, then we'll "cut the cord" and see if my daughter becomes a pod kid. I love the idea of having a back-up pump in case something goes wrong. Definitely a win-win situation!

9. rgcainmd

I'll be sure to check the expiry dates on the Freestyle strips! The whole Abbot recall debacle was one of the reasons why I was a little iffy about Omnipod in the first place. It's no wonder some people hate the Pod... Thank you for the advice!

10. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Yay!!!! We're Omnipodders. Feel free to ask any questions about it. We've been on Omnipod since October and have had a couple of hiccups, but love using this pump. :)

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You will have the best of both worlds with that plan. We just transitioned from the Omnipod, but still have it for back up. We had done cut the cord originally but then put the next PDM through insurance. It was a fight to get the tSlim covered then. Insurance doesn't care that they only paid $600.00 for a PDM. The codes are the same, so it gets rejected automatically if you try to get a tubed pump covered while the PDM is still in warranty. I had the durable med company tell me that they always advise people not to choose Omnipod as first option for that reason. Your daughter may just decide that the tslim is very cool and not want to use the Omnipod much.