- advertisement -

I'm just never fast enough to make it into the closed threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charlotte'sMom, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

This is why he's closing the OT section.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped
    away most of your of what you wrote, because, well ... it didn't
    really say anything. Your attempt at constructing a creative flame was
    pitiful. I mean, really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a
    load of babbling was hardly effective... Maybe later in life, after
    you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more
    success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal"
    people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering.
    But we sometimes forget that there are "challenged" persons in this
    world who find these things to be difficult. If I had known that this
    was true in your case then I would have never have exposed myself to
    what you wrote. It just wouldn't have been "right." Sort of like
    parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck in the
    emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a
    demand on you.

I wish I could take credit for this eloquent work, but it's from http://www.guymacon.com/FUN/INSULT/INDEX.HTM, some fine insults collected from web forums. They give permission to copy and paste the insults!

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Really? I hope not. That's a nice place to talk about non-D stuff and it is by and large not part of this problem. The problem threads seem to happen most often in the parents of t1 forum.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Exactly, and exactly.

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

and I think it's a good idea. This is a diabetes forum.....not a cofffe clutch. The OT about non-related D things are just asking for trouble. Basically, we are all here due to a common enemy: Diabetes. That doesn't mean that we're all friends and need to discuss all of our personal topics.

I think people should be respectful to each other, but when you go off topic, it's just asking for trouble.

I am grateful to Jeff for allowing us to utilize this forum. I have learned so much from so many people. I find it amazing that people are trashing Jeff for trying to manage such a large undertaking.

If you don't like, you can always start your own website.....I'll bet you would see how hard it actually is to maintain something of this magnitude.

6. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I think for a few days the "fluff" will subside then it will pick right back up again. It is only natural in a "relationship" to share other interest.

While I am not slamming "fluff"... I did like that I didn't have to shuffle through it, going there when I wanted.

I really didn't see alot of OT topics that were thread closing worthy, although I didn't frequent it often. I saw d-related threads that went OT resulting in closing, which maybe could have been edited instead.

7. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

He's closing the OT section because I'm talking about wanting to talk about things other than what he wants us to talk about? I'm merely suggesting he loosen up a little bit and moderate a little less.

This forum is as amazing as it is BECAUSE OF the members here. I'm sorry. I felt like I had a right to an opinion, an opinion I believe would make this forum even better. I know I can't make Jeff change anything, but I also know I'm not the only one who feels this way about threads being closed. I thought perhaps if enough people spoke up, he'd reconsider some of his moderating policies.

You don't have to open or read any of the OT sections. Problem solved. And Pauji5, some of us are friends.

8. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I think that's wonderful. I too, have made personal friends here....and that's what facebook is for - where you can discuss personal things and don't have the problems of people getting upset about what strangers are posting about what you say.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Well, I fart in your general direction sir ~ Monty Python and the holy grail

:)

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

Respectfully, there was no "trashing" in this thread but, instead, respectful disagreement as well as respectful agreement. I think, if I recall in reading the entire thread, that even those who may disagree with the decisions agree that the job is both thankless and significant in scope.

11. swellman

That's just funny and, unfortunately, no longer has a place in these forums.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I couldn't agree more................

13. SueM

SueM Banned

Yeah, because there's never any FB Wars / disagreements :)

I am not a huge FB fan. Not my thing. I know some use it a lot... There is a big difference between FB and Forums (in general). I recognize that there are likely pros and cons for both but overall it's comparing apples to oranges.

I still find it odd that people can't simply stop reading the OT section / Hot Topic section if it isn't their cup of tea. It's not difficult. Truly, it isn't.

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Maybe you could come to CWD more often and then it wouldn't be a problem :D

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

16. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

Yes Lisa I agree, I have been a reader on here for years and recently started posting. I have seen quite a few people who were posting, that seemed to stir up emotions of some senior members. Remember e hacker? Poor lady was in need of help but people were very judemental. There's more, but I don't want to beat a dead horse

17. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

Oh. I see ads on here all the time. There is a life first one touch meter at the top of the page, is that j@j?

18. swellman

It's called "Quick Links/Today's Posts" and all your problems are solved. I NEVER look in particular sub-forums and I NEVER miss a new thread. The only detriment is that I have, rarely, almost posted in the Celiac forum before I realized I had nothing to contribute.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And I've followed several threads where an old member was attacked by "newbie" posters, who were obviously old posters with a grudge and the admin, because it permits people to create "new identities" failed to take note of the IP address or to cut them off at the knees, and that old member felt bashed badly enough to leave the forum and take their knowledge of D with them.

The scale is obviously tipped in favor of generating new members and upping the membership roster at the expense of folks who might actually have something valuable to contribute. :rolleyes: And what are we left with? Folks who can commiserate and send hugs but who can offer none of the valuable and authentic assistance upon which a site like CWD should thrive.

Look at the Parents forum. It's dead. No one discussed anything beyond the most basic and elementary D stuff. Where are the in-depth conversations? Gone with those who either felt unwanted or unappreciated.

20. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Do most folks tediously go through the topics of interest to them when the option to view New Posts (a single click from the menu at the top) or Today's Posts is available? It is ever so much easier to pick one of these options and scan over the posts of interest to you.

You don't miss new threads this way, either.