- advertisement -

I'm in need of support and guidance...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Artemis94, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Artemis94

Artemis94 Approved members

Look, I've had diabetes for 5 years since this 4th of July. I'm a sophmore, 15 (well, almost), and it seems like no one understands. I just *forget* to bolus and I've been battling it for years and just *can't* seem to get a handle on it. It drives me crazy and I feel so guilty, but I just can't help getting distracted. One of my best friends goes to school on an island, one is in boarding school 4 hours away, and the other lives 1/2 hour away. I'm worried about them because I'm just a worrying type of person and diabetes just floats to the back of my brain. It makes me feel SOOOOO guilty and bad about myself because I'm so good at school and I'm so good at singing and everything that I really enjoy but when it comes to diabetes I just hit a stone wall. No one I know has diabetes and no matter who I talk to, they'll never understand because its not something you *can* understand unless you go through it... I have a diabetes appointment on Tuesday and I really don't want to go and hear them tell me the same thing all over again and point out all the ways I've failed since the last time they saw me... HELP!!! :confused:

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Missing boluses is common, so please don't beat yourself up about it.

Have you thought about setting an alarm on your phone around regular meal times as a reminder?

3. Artemis94

I've tried that but I often don't hear it... I've tried getting my parents to remind me but for some reason every time they remind me it really ticks me off. Any suggestions?

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

How often do you forget?
    Do you only forget to bolus, or do you also forget to check your blood sugar?
    Do you try to take the insulin BEFORE or AFTER eating? Are you on a pump or MDI?

I think it's a zillion times easier to forget when you're doing the shot afterwards. In my experience. I don't forget a lot, but when I do it's usually because I was planning to do it after I ate and then the meal dragged on and on... and I forget.
    If you are remembering to check your blood sugar but not to inject, try doing them at the same time. Also, if there is something scheduled into your day, make it that you check your blood sugar and correct your blood sugar at that time every day.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just wanted to say, "welcome" and even though I'm just the mom of a D kid and Maddie's just 11 I get how endless it can seem sometimes and how that can make it really, really hard to take on any positive change. :cwds:

If your bgs are running crazy then you are bound to be feeling pretty bad physically and emotionally. Try to take it one day at a time. Write a little note on your hand "bolus" - journal about it ( I saw that you write) - give yourself a little reward when you've had a successful day and try above all to be kind to yourself. Hang in there and I hope you'll post again.

6. Allyson94

Allyson94 Approved members

Set and Alarm.. an set the Alarm on the highest possible volume..
    BTW.. you can send me a PM if you want.. I'm almost 15 too :D

7. Artemis94

Thanks so much. Its cheering me up just to talk to people who understand. :D I forget about once a day. I set my pump to beep really loudly when I generally eat. It'll be easier now that I'm starting school again. During the summer I have no regular eating habits.

8. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

You just have to some how have to connect it in your mind- I know hard to do at first. Put a sticky note on the fridge, in the fridge, in the cabinet, in lunchbox, or where ever you have food that will remind you to bolus. Put a picture of your pump or simply write bolus on it. Maybe instead of asking your parents to remind you, sit down with them twice a week just to see how your doing and look over your numbers. If you're having a hard time then they can kindly remind you to bolus, but continue to have chats twice a week. Its good to get into a habit of looking at your numbers and making changes and its also nice to just chat with your parents :) Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!

9. Artemis94

Well, we'll start something like that is a couple of days cause I'm seeing the endo tomorrow. I think its the matter of getting used to it and making it routine. My parents seem almost soley disconnected with me having diabetes and then expect things to be peachy when we see the endo. Right now they are yelling at eachother about it right now. Its like they expect me to handle everything perfectly. RAWR! *sigh* Well, tomorrow will be an intersting day.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Do your folks know about this site??? They might learn a thing or two and gain a friend or two from making a few posts.:rolleyes:

And to be clear - you were were dxd 5 years ago or 5 months ago???

11. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

WELCOME!
    have you tried writing on your hand? i usually NEVER do that, but my mom changed my I:C in the evening to 12 from 10(it was 10 all day long!) and i COULDN'T remember. days and days of forgetting-because it was 10 i didn't need to run it through and since i forgot about the change i also forgot about running it through. when i finally wrote it on my hand i didn't forget once. it might help if nothing else is........

12. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Perhaps your parents think since you're a teen, that you should be able to handle D care on your own. I know I've heard a lot of parents on this board who give their kids a "D vacation" where they do all the bolusing/shots/carb counting for their kids, for ,say, on the weekends or for a certain amount of time. Can you discuss something like that with your parents/endo?
    My dd sounds like you, she just forgets. It's hard as the parent, because you so much want good blood sugars for your child's health and so that you and she just feel Good all the time. I hope you find a plan that works well for you so you feel better all the time.
    good luck to you, update us.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

You might try to work on a "diabetes truce" in your house. We have one going most of the time here. While our daughter and us (her parents) are going through the usual teenage challenging time with one another (she is 13), we try hard to keep all of our diabetes-related interactions off-limits for nagging, bickering, backtalking etc. and instead just focus on working together at keeping her healthy and safe.. :cwds:

14. calebsmom_paulswife

calebsmom_paulswife New Member

Have you ever heard the old saying from English class..."i before e except after c?".. well, let me tell you, that has ALWAYS made our son remember to bolus! (Insulin before eating except after crashing!) He's not allowed to eat unless he has taken his insulin...no matter HOW hungry he is, unless of course he just had a low blood sugar (a crash) and he can't take insulin at that point. He hated the rule at first, but after a month of it...he learned to love it because he never forgot a bolus after that. He now carries his supplies on hand all the time and is much more responsible as well...but then he is 18 not 15 lol. I hope this helps some.

15. Toni

Toni Banned

Do you make it a point usually to bolus before you eat? I could see getting distracted after you eat and forgetting. Try to begin a new habit starting today. There is nothing you can do about the past; start fresh.

16. Artemis94

Hey, sorry I've been gone for a while. I've been swamped with homework. Physics is a lot more complicated than i thought it would be. Anyway, I'm getting better. I wrote bolus on my lunchbox and that's helpful and my parents have been reminding me of it. I also decided to talk to a counselor because I realized that the main reason that I was forgetting to bolus was because of emotional issues. I'll try the hand-writing thing. It has merit. Thanks everyone. You are all super helpful!:D

17. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

I'm gonna have to try this one with my daughter!!

Artemis, Jen seems to forget frequently, too, I think....

How did your last endo appointment go? We tend to dread the endo appointments, too, because no matter what we do, her blood sugars are still all over the place, and we get scolded at the endo appointments! :rolleyes::p

18. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

Please don't think your a failure, that's not true. Your a normal 15 year old who just wishes things were different and you didn't have this giant responsibility to worry about. Fact is, at your age it's really time to focus on caring for yourself in a mature way. In a few years, before you know it you'll be an adult and the responsiblity will become a reality. You need to focus on getting and keeping yourself healthy for the long run. I know it's not easy, my son's 15 too and he often forgets. I worry that he won't be ready to take control completely when he becomes and adult. I will be there for him no matter what and I hope you also have a support system in place. Explain to your parents that you still need their help and don't be afraid to ask them for help. Their frustration is showing and that's common for parents, they only want the best for their kids. And try not to stress about going for your checkups when you know things haven't been going too well. The doctors are there to help you. Since you recognize that there's a problem, you've taken the first step to get in control by writing this post. Good luck and hang in there.