- advertisement -

Im impressed with the NFL tonight

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kyleesmom, Dec 28, 2008.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I have to preface this by saying that my husband has issues with the NFL about Jay Cutler. He is irritated that every Broncos game involves them saying something about Jay Cutler and diabetes and the strict program he must follow and all that. He says that he would really like to write to the NFL to tell them that he has an 11 year old child with type 1 diabetes and they way they talk, it makes them sound like they are horribly ill and not capable of living normal lives.

So tonight we were watching the Bronocos game and they start talking about him again, which of course DH is irritated with. I told him that I wish just once they would actually say what it is that he does to care for himself because Im sure a lot of people assume its controlled by diet. Something as simple as saying how many times during a game he checks his blood sugar or something like that. Not two minutes later, they are talking about him again and they go to a reporter on the field for more information. Not only did she say how many times during a game he checks his blood sugar(8-10 from the time he arrives at the stadium) but they actually SHOWED him getting his finger poked and checking his sugar. Im kicking myself now because I didnt pay attention to see what he was :p I was just so shocked and busy yelling at Kylee and DH to come look. So now Im thinking Id like to write Jay Cutler and thank him for letting them show that on tv. Kylee was thrilled to see it.

2. AP-Mom

AP-Mom Approved members

I just posted over in the Parents OT about this. I am impressed by it as well. Especially what John Madden said -- that he is role model, etc. I don't watch many Denver games, so I can't speak to the commentary they normally say, but this was great, IMO.

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I love to see such positive role models for children. Although it won't mean much to my dd, my sons will be impressed and it will help them to see that their sister will be able to achieve whatever she puts her mind to.

4. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

My hubby actually watches them a lot and they have shown him many times testing himself and talking about how often he has to check his blood sugars. Once in an interview he said that when he is playing bad or makes a bad pass his teammates joke around with him in the huddle and say he needs to go and check himself that he must be high! :p

5. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

Dh called Janie in when they started speaking about it, she thought it was cool to see someone checking on (sort of) live tv. We usually don't watch the Bronco games (Dh is a Giants fan) so I'm not sure how they usually report on Cutler's D. I was very glad to hear that nothing glaringly wrong was stated.

I should say that even though Dh is not a Broncos fan, he is very respectful of Cutler and how he's managing his condition, not hiding it. He is a role model for young D patients, male and female. Janie loves seeing stories on him.

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Awe man, that is so cool!! :cwds: My son is a huge Steelers fan, but as soon as Cutler came out about his diagnosis my son wanted a Broncos #6 jersey and is a Jay Cutler fan. He picked him as his #1 quarterback for his football fantasy team. And believe me he plays to win! :D

7. peytonsmom

peytonsmom Approved members

Hi, I had to chuckle..being from Pittsburgh, we of course are Steeler fans..however the number one thing on Peyton's list this year was..a Jay Cutler jersey! Of course Santa brought it! ;)

So now on top of the Steeler jerseys we of course have Peyton Manning jersey and a Jay Cutler Jersey! Peyton wears them proudly!

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

They didn't show his number. :cwds: I thought they did a good job too, showing him testing, specifying he has Type 1 and calling him a role model.

9. fossmommy

fossmommy Approved members

I thought it was great too... Dh even said something like "a year ago I wouldn't have paid any attention to this story, but I love that they are doing it". We have joked since Andrew was dx about him becoming a professional athlete b/c every doctor, nurse, social worker, etc that visited us in the hospital told us "he'll live a perfectly normal life and can even become a professional athlete"... now we have proof! LOL Kuddos to Cutler and the NFL for bringing awareness!!!

10. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

That is the same thought that crossed my mind, but it was more like "a couple of months ago I wouldn't have given it another thought, now it's all I think about!"

11. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

I thought John Madden and Al Michaels were especially good during the story on Cutler. They both specifically referred to Jay having Type 1 Diabetes (Madden referenced kids having Juvenile Diabetes once). Madden made a point to mention that is important that we BOTH find a cure AND make sure young people with T1D look at Cutler and realize that they can do anything. Very well done by the people on NBC Sunday Night Football.