- advertisement -

I'm having a little trouble figuring out when to calibrate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jacob'sDad, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

So Jacob recently started on the Revel pump. Previously he had been using the Dexcom. I can't quite figure out when to calibrate the sensor with the Revel.

I can calibrate at 5am. His BG is usually pretty good and steady then but not always. Sometimes I end up correcting a high then.

His BG is usually good at breakfast. Sometimes that is because I corrected at 5am. He could calibrate then, but he would be eating breakfast right after calibration and might spike.

If he does spike he will be back down by 11am (assuming his BG actually comes all the way back down), but on school days, that is right before lunch.

So, often he is coming home and his pump is saying "enter meter BG" because he hasn't calibrated all day. He says there was no good time to calibrate.

So if any of you have any suggestions....:cwds:

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I don't calibrate at fixed times every day, rather I calibrate if my BG is stable and it's going to be 10 minutes until I eat. What time does he get back from school? After 5PM? Does he check his BG before leaving school? It might be stable-ish at that point, considering it's a while after lunch.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Early on, I just about drove myself crazy trying to calibrate by the rules all the time. I still try to, but I've learned that there are times it's ok to just enter a number and then if the CGM is reading too far off, to restart at a convenient time. Last night, my DD was at 258 and the thing had gone into a "Meter BG now":(. I went ahead and entered the 258 as I wanted it to monitor her during the night. I did recalibrate when checking her around 2 (still over 200). By 6 a.m., she was at 99 and the CGM was within 15 points. I was glad to have calibrated even while she was high.

4. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

What about calibrating as soon as he gets up in the morning? Or if you get up before him, checking him and calibrating then? We typically calibrate 3 times a day: Right when he wakes up; Sometime between lunch and supper; and either before bed or after he's asleep.

Hope this helps!

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We calibrate before breakfast and at bedtime. Bedtime is not fasting but has never caused us problems.

6. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

We do something quite similar to Style Mom.

First thing when he wakes up (or as I wake him) we calibrate. If he wants breakfast soon and is range, I'll pre-bolus breakfast. By the time he actually eats 15-20 minutes later, the cal has kicked in and the insulin is about to (helps with the spike too).

Then because am home with him right after school I'll cal then or, if necessary, 15-20 minutes before dinner, again doing a dinner pre-bolus.

One more cal at 10ish gets us through the nigh without a MeterBG.

7. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

We try to get 3 calibrations in each day to give us a little more flexibility on time. First one, which is usually the most accurate, is at breakfast. Second is at dinner (we eat early, usually just an hour or so after he gets home from school). Third time is just before bed, which easily gives us the twelve hours before the next calibration at breakfast. We'll throw additional calibrations in if I know he's stable and we're testing anyway, just to give us a bit more flexibility.