- advertisement -

I'm going to try REALLY hard...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Heather(CA), Dec 16, 2010.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

To stop complaining. I think my lack of sleep has turned me into someone that's not too fun to be around. I don't want to be grouchy, I want to be fun. Any suggestions? I went for a walk today and I feel better already:D

2. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I want the same thing.:) What I try is to try to forget the sleepiness and try to focus on the what needs to get done... I have also seen that the more I am up and moving, the less i feel draggy...(is that a word?):confused: I also try to get music playing at home/car...and sing along...makes me feel better sometimes.

So go dance/song your heart out:D I hope you find a way...and share it with the rest of us maybe...

3. Heather(CA)

Those are some really good suggestions:) Thanks! I should turn on some tunes, when my hubby comes home and can hear music from outside he knows I'm cleaning lol

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

You say grouchy like it's a bad thing.:D

Seriously, good luck. I'd suggest laughter yoga.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm sure you have, but just wanted to make sure that you've had your thyroid checked. When I'm low on thyroid hormone, I just want to lie in bed all day and feel rubbish, and "fun" isn't even in my vocabulary. :p

6. Heather(CA)

I did, they said it was fine. HS sports is kicking my butt. I'm SO looking forward to the boys vacation:D

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sometimes I just sit back for a day and listen. When I do, I notice how omnipresent complaining has become, or maybe it's always been that way. Even people who say they are positive usually do so when complaining about people who aren't. :p This does two things for me. First, it shows me that being critical is a natural human impulse shared by everyone, and having the impulse does not make me a monster. Second, it helps me evaluate how much I want to let it into my life, and to what end. Grouchy sometimes is what it takes to make bad things change, it can be the opposite of complacent or complying or passivity. Sometimes, though, grouchy is just a way to continue in an activity that is not healthy or good, you keep doing it and just complain anyway.

Anyway, stepping back and observing how others handle the grouch impulse well or not well, productively or unproductively, with love or in meanness or coldness, helps give me perspective and make some decisions about my own attitude. For five or ten minutes, at least.

Hope you feel better soon.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I think the lack of sleep that comes with caring for a D child, paired with school activities can be VERY tiring. My kids are not in sports, but both are in drama, at 2 different schools. I have been living at schools the past few weeks,helping and setting up and painting, and forgetting to get breakfast for myself. Have you been feeding yourself? I hope you get a break soon. I enjoyed my kid's activities, but must admit I am SO glad it's now winter break!

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wear an elastic. Everytime you feel the need to complain, snap it. Or do a complainers cup. Again, everytime you complain, pay up.

10. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Yeah, the school activities can be a drain.

True Confession: I cheered today when I got the email saying the Christmas choir concert that Zach was going to perform in tonight was canceled due to weather. I was on the hook to chaperone/usher and I needed the break.

A little bit of guilt and a whole lot of relief. :eek:

11. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am so sorry, Heather...:( I get it....:cwds:

The following things make me feel better instantaneously:

- Put one of our little pet bunny rabbits on my lap (substitute with dog/cat/other furry creature)

- Have a good talk with my BFF over a cup of coffee

- Have a cup of coffee!!

- Have a dance party with the kids (crank up the music and DANCE!)

- Have a nice, long, hot shower

-Take a 20min power nap (but no longer than 30 minutes!)

Physical activity is always good too but I am sadly lacking in that department right now :eek:

12. Heather(CA)

Thanks for the reply's everyone...Guess what happened tonight. I was at Walmart with my middle son Chris. I got this GREAT parking spot by the door outside the garden area. When I went to the garden area to check out they had JUST closed the registers. It was annoying but I took a deep breath and I didn't complain.

When I got the the line of regular registers, a clerk waved me over, she had NO line, none :)

Then when Chris and I got to the car I was teasing him about butt calling me. On his phone I noticed that he has me listed as Heather(Mom 2) Isn't that sweet?:D

I think not complaining gave me good karma:D

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh, I so am there with you. I have to make it a habit to be thankful for even the seemingly little mundane things that go on everyday. And yes, I seriously need a break.

14. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Are you sure its not hormone related! I been feeling PMSy ALl day!

Especially when I drive, I picked up some bad language when nuts are driving like idiots.

I think I have to join anger management club or the cranky club!

oh wait, didn't have my cup of java, ahhh now my brain is satisfied!

15. Heather(CA)

The day poor Seth was with me and I complained ALL day was definitely PMS related. But, I do complain at other times too, mostly when I'm driving more than I should. It's not like the offenders in the other car can hear me anyway. Just whoever is in my car. Besides, Pamprin works GREAT for PMS. Try it, it works REALLY FAST to help your mood :D