- advertisement -

I'm a little bothered

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bsbllmom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

We went on vacation last week. Christian was swimming all day from the time he finished breakfast until well after dinner. Well I tested him at midnight 3 and 6 a.m. So I sent his numbers to his endo because they needed wacky numbers to try and get his pump approved, that is a whole other dilemma. Anyway the nurse told me that I was testing him too much. Now from midnight to 6 a.m. I tested him 3 times, then his regular before meal testing, that is 3 more, before bed so that is a total of 7, plus random testing during the day while he was swimming. Now I don't usually test that much. When his numbers are good I usually get away with testing him 4 - 6 times and that works. But she said that during that week I tested him too much because one day it was 10 times. I think if I would have tested him less I wouldn't have caught some of the lows that I did.

What do you guys think?

2. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Well, I am new at this....but I did not think testing them can hurt them in anyway??!!

If that is a true statement...then it seems to me like you did the right thing even if you never detected a low.

A low while swimming could be very dangerous which is why you were so viligant. Excersize can cause lows at night, which is why you tested.

I think you di 100000000% the right thing! I would have too!

3. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

when we were going for the pumps one of the criteria on forms from minimed. Script to be filled out by doctor, stated must be willing to test 10+ times a day.

I am also a firm believer, in tight control and to get that you need to test. Nurse needs to figure that out, sorry you had to deal with that.

4. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Testing him too much? Does the nurse realize how often a CGMS takes readings? Parent to parent, IMO, you test him as much as you want! How else will you catch lows? I guess on the off chance you skip a test cuz of the nurses comment yet he gets dangerously low and you feel aweful... Of course the nurse will just shrug it off but I think you should test as often as your strips container and insurance payments allow. Knock yourself out. Dont miss a low if you can help it.

Ok Im done. Im a little annoyed at our CDEs. Sorry. I took it out on your nurse. :eek:

5. TracieandJim

Just thought of this.. test as much as you want. Give them the #s during the test times they want. They are happy and in the meantime you are catching lows you may not have caught before. If they question you then you can say he felt low and you tested just in case. Yes a bit of a lie but so what. You are at least caring for him the way you want and it doesnt hurt anyone. Its just an extra test.

You betcha I would do this! :D

6. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Test him too much? Didnt know there was such a thing. Ok that lady would have a problem with Chell testings as much then. Chell is tested 15 -18 times a day, PLUS extras as needed.

Her endo team stated, "looks like you guys are testing quit often. Do what you need to do." then she went on and stated that "they would rather see them test that much, then NOT testing enough." (Chell is on the pump & CGM, also she has many other medical issues that are going on, thats why we test alot)

Your the MOM, you do what you need to do to keep your child safe.

7. Bsbllmom

Well they download the meter at his appointment. I guess when I download the info I can accidently delete it.:)

8. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Do they always down load the meter? If so, dont take the meter, just the log books. If they dont like it, its their problem. You do what you need to do! That is why God made you THE mom!

9. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Did the nurse know that some of those tests were before and during swimming?
    I think you were right to test that much. I know my son can drop over 200 pts fast while swimming.

10. CButler

CButler Approved members

What is the negative part about testing so much? Was the nurse worried about the effects on the fingers or what? Sometimes in the morning, if Elizabeth has had a bad night and is sleeping in, I test her every hour and sometimes every half hour if I think she is close to going low.:confused:

11. Bsbllmom

She said because he is going to get burned out on testing. She said what am I going to do when he is 17 and says to me that he doesn't want to test.

They will only give me a rx for 200 strips per month. They said because the insurance won't pay for more than that. I called AccuChek and the sent me 50 extras.:D

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would test as much as I thought necessary, and I wouldn't hide it. When the nurse told me I tested too much, I'd smile and reply, "I don't think I do." End of conversation. What utter nonsense.

13. TracieandJim

:D True

I dont think burnt out specifically about testing is as bothering as burnt out on D all together. It's simply what you have to do to keep your child well.

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Yes, most insurances will only cover up to 200 in general. However if the doctor writes a letter of necessity they can override that. We used to get that from our old DME supplier who kept telling me that and insisting that they wouldn't even freaking submit the prescription to our insurance. I had to get nasty with them. I actually called the insurance company who told me they could if I got a letter of necessity. Which I did. And boom, we got more. And then we still needed more and got them. We now get 400 a month, no problem.

15. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

I test more often than the endo said I have to, but not as often as most of you guys here seem to test. I just talked to the nurse at the endo's office yesterday and she seemed pleasantly surprised at how much we test. She said most parents don't do as much testing. I told her, "If I don't test, I don't know what's going on." I hate testing so much, but I have to do it. Like someone mentioned, testing is about the only way we have to get good control for our kids.

So, I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did. He was swimming alot and you needed to know what was going on. Good work, Mom! ;)

16. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Yeah, I'm about to run out of strips too! Our first RX was for 200. They've updated it to 300, but we're more than halfway through our second month's worth of strips due to the initial shortage - had to dig in to the new RX. I don't get more for 3 weeks! I've got about a week's worth left. We check 10 times a day (doc's orders) and more if we're dealing with lows overnight. What did you say to them?

~Alyce

17. heather

heather Approved members

i think you ABSOLUTELY did the right thing testing christian as much as you did.

when mark swims that much, he goes low a lot--so i'm constantly testing him. and sometimes those lows don't show up until hours after swimming, so it does require extra testing.

christian's not gonna burn out because you tested him so much during one week of vacation--heck, he was probably sleeping most of those times! (during the midnight and 3 am testings, anyway)

testing and correcting highs a lot is a different story--you could end up stacking too much insulin if you correct too often, and have lows later. but if you are testing specifically because of extra exercise and worrying about lows, then it's not a problem.

junt my opinion, anyway. :)

18. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

Before Andrew was on the sensor I always tested on average 10 times per day. My endo would comment on how many times I tested and I would just reply "yep! I like to know what his numbers are and that is the only way" Its the only way you could know for sure that he wasnt going too low (expecially from swimming!) My insurance also required testing of 8 times per day before they would agree to pay for the sensor so I definitely had that covered.

19. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I really get upset when endos give that advice. It's not their child, and they sometimes have no clue how unpredictable this disease can be. Test as often as you feel necessary. Good control is related to frequent testing.

20. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

I'd consider finding a doctor that's more inclined to listen to you when you say you need to test more. My docs never questioned my request to increase the Rx for more strips. I test DD about 10 times per day. And as many of you have said, on days when they're particularly busy and running low, we test even more. Also - be prepared to test almost every hour on sick days. Your Rx needs to offer you some leeway for days like that.