- advertisement -

I'm a little angry about this (Jonas Brothers E-Mail)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Twinklet, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I signed up for the Jonas Brother's fan club and get occasional E-Mail updates.

The one I got today had this tidbit:

"On more serious note, the guys recently took time off their busy tour to visit the White House to talk about critical issues relating to children's health. The Jonas Brothers attended a briefing about Diabetes, and spoke to the media about the disease and the importance of children's fitness. Nick Jonas spoke about his illness, and urged kids to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle to avoid diseases like diabetes and obesity."

To be fair, the blurb was something they forwarded from an MTV site. But didn't they read it first? The heavy implication is that Nick got diabetes from being inactive and obese! :rolleyes:

They are clearly not differentiating between the T1D and T2D. In addition, his Bayer website also does not distinguish very well. T1D is never mentioned as an autoimmune disease.

To me, this perpetuates the myth that T1D is somehow our fault. That really ticks me off. I just wonder how educated the Jonas family really is on T1D?

2. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

More of his fans will get T2 than T1.

Fitness is important to both T1 and T2 kids.

I don't see it as a bad thing.

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I assume they have a pretty big fan club so I would consider this a serious blunder that needs to be corrected.

4. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

They need to differentiate between the 2 diseases. Nick didn't get T1D from being inactive or eating poorly.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Not bad, but very misleading. With more kids being diagnosed with type 1 every year, you would think the general population would become more educated about it. But when blurbs like this come out, it sets us all back.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm sure his family is well educated on T1, however it may have been his PR crew which put out that announcement, which is very misleading, IMO.
    I would write an e-mail addressing this subject, and hopefully someone will take notice.
    I understand you being upset, as it perpetuates the misconceptions about T1, but on a positive note, it encourages kids to take an active role in leading healthier lifestyles.

7. selinasmom

selinasmom Approved members

This is just the kind of thing that frustrates both me and my daughter (she has T1D and is 12 yrs old)). The other day my daughter (Selina) and her friend bought some candy, when the friend's mom saw the candy she told her daughter not to eat it all or she might end up like Selina. UNBELIEVABLE!! I really thought this mom understood what T1D was.

Sorry about the rant, just so frustrating.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I would say a little tweaking of the press release is in order. A couple short sentences differentiating and explaining would do the trick.

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

They really need a good PR person that knows type 1 scrutinizing over details of all print, radio, and tv in regards to the diabetes related information put out there. I'll volunteer!!! :D

10. hurrayupmom

hurrayupmom Approved members

Darn, I was just going to send my application in for the job. You beat me too it:D But seriously, they do need to clarify the difference between Tl and T2.

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

arrr! I had this very discussion with a mom outside school today. her daughter is a tiny little bit overweight (she's 8)..I hesitate to even say that even, she's a chunky litlte 8 year old. She's not a stick figure. To me, she looks great, healthy etc. The mom (who knows Ian has D) said something like "I'm really glad that the Jonas brothers are talking about diabetes. Maybe it will help Emily realize that she might want to lose the weight so that she doesn't get diabetes too"

I tried to explain that Nick doesn't have type 2 and that the chances of a perfectly normal sized 8 year old (who plays ball and dances) getting type 2 is slim to none. I said, "Nick has type 1..like Ian" She said see's Ian and she thinks "ok, he has diabetes, the serious one" but for some reason when it translates to the jonas brothers' it's just "diabetes - the thing older people get" These were her words. She was not trying to be mean, she was just trying to say that she knows there's a difference but isn't informed and she wasn't translating what nick has to what Ian has. I think I helped her a little...I hope.

The thing I was thinking then, with all this talk about diabetes, are we now going to see perfectly healthy normal sized girls walking around afraid they're going to get diabetes because they're "too fat"????

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

They get paid to say what they're told, nothing more, nothing less!

13. cowdenclan

cowdenclan Approved members

Sounds like a bad PR staff. He's just a kid....he can't be PC all the time. His statement will help all around fitness in children. Some are probably too young to understand the difference of T1 & T2 anyways unless they are experiencing it first hand.
    :confused:

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is what I'm concerned about! These young girls seem to be living and breathing on every word the Jonas Bros, Hannah Montana and now this Demi Lovoto girl are saying. What they need to be promoting is healthy living through sensible eating, excersice and just having fun.

15. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

just because your rich and famous and your heart is in the right place doesnt mean your educated. I think they would benefit from knowing its an autoimmune disease.

16. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I realize WE all see the difference, but like Badshoe mentioned, type 2 is becoming more of an epidemic. Stressing the importance of a healthy lifestyle and exercise is not a bad thing.

Unfortunately our kids have the D which is not the one everyone is talking about. I do my best to let others know, if they ask, that his is different. The fact that diabetes is being brought to the forefront and we can use that to educate is a good thing.

I also do my best to let Sam know that many of these diabetes "campaigns" he hears about are geared towards type 2. He knows he didn't cause what he has, and to me that is the most important thing. When he hears about being overweight and sedentary can lead to diabetes, among other health issues, he doesn't take it personally.

Personally, for me, I've had to let comments such as these just go. I have enough on my plate dealing with Sam's issues that I can't let other issues get me down or upset. That is just me, I'm not trying to put down others who get upset, as it is definitely a legit concern, just how I handle things on my end.

17. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

That is frustrating to me! I bet nick would not agree that obesity causes type 1. There is definaetly an epidemic of type 2 among kids, but the PR people really ought to be better than that....... If i was reading that and didn't know better, I 'd assume nick needed to exercise more and stop downing the twinkies!...... AHHHHHhhhhh Breathe and exhale....